• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Could not save as 'filename' because of a program error." Won't allow me to save in ANY format!

Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a large file (3500x8300px) that i have been working on in Photoshop CS4 and i tried to save it after working on it for about 30 minutes and got the following message: "Could not save as 'filename' because of a program error."  I tried saving it as .psd, .pdf, .tif, even .jpg and received the same message each time.  I closed down all other software to ensure that there was enough memory available but to no avail.  I then just closed my MBP and waited until the next day hoping it was just a glitch and might work later on.  I opened it up the next day (forgetting about the save issue) and worked on the file for a few more hours and then tried saving it again. (that's when i remembered the issue...too late...the work was already done).  Nope...still won't let me save it.  I'm afraid i'll have to restart the program but cannot afford to lose this work.  Any thoughts on how to fix it?

*note: i tried 'save for web' and it allowed me to save it as a flattened image (although rather slow due to filesize) but i need it in a layered format.

ANY HELP would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

**(I'm running PS CS4 v. 11.0.2 on a MBP 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and have Lion OS X 10.7.2.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 17, 2012 Jan 17, 2012

Yeah i tried all of the above and none of it seemed to work.  The only thing that would work was to SFW as either .gif or .jpg (wouldn't allow png).  However, after saving the second layer as a gif, the entire program froze and i was unable to recover it.  Oh well...here goes to starting over!  (maybe i can convince my boss to upgrade to CS5.) ha.  Thanks a lot for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2015 Jan 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this for the first time, today. I found that converting the color depth to RGB/16 allowed me to save. I then reverted to RGB/8 and save worked again – no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had the same problem, a large document with many layers.

My solution was to make a new document - with another name. Select all the layers of your document (with the bug) and drag an drop it in the new document. You can work again now in the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2015 Feb 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this same problem...turns out it may have stemmed from working on the original file in CS6, then on CC, then when I opened it in CS6 and worked on it again, got the error message. It seems to have been fixed when I finally tried a "Save As...", turned off the Layers checkbox, and dialog told me I would have to save a copy (kept it in psd format). Opened the saved copy, did another "Save As..." before doing any work on the new version of the file, renamed it, and so far so good....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it is indeed due to one layer (usually adjustment layers for me) and the only thing which works is figuring out which layer is the culprit and then creating a new one to replace it and deleting the bad one.  Then you can save with no problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2016 Apr 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I'm on CC and what worked is

1, create a totally new document with the same size as the "not saveable"

2, (i saved it to be sure I can save on disc, maybe this isn't needed)

3, Drag all layers to that and save is working

Cheers

Tamas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2016 May 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you had to start over.
This has happened to me several times with files of different sizes.
I think the common issue was that I previously cancelled a save.

Regardless of the cause, the solution is simple:

Turn off visibility for all of the layers. Save.
That's it! Good luck next time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is it 2017 and this is still a thing?? I can't seem to find a solution for this. I've tried turning off the generator plugin. It will just not save in a pdf format. UGH. Little things like this are so frustrating. Hours of work for no results! Has anyone found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found I was able to save the file by turning off the adjustment layers. And to export, I simply copied the merged image to a new document and saved that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just create a new document, move all the layers to the new file and save it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Animorka!  This is the only thing that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 12, 2017 Aug 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another approach - the amount of work I lost by not being able to save was not as great as the others.

I identified the problem as only ONE file among the few I was working with did NOT want to be saved by Photoshop

in any format.

Photoshop closed.

I went back to explorer to the offending file and selected "Open with" and instead of photoshop, I selected PAINT.

I opened it in Paint and saved the file as a PNG file.

THIS saved file could be opened in Photoshop, edited in any way, and saved in ANY Photoshop format

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran across this problem using photoshop cc 2015 ( i can't upgrade to the latest due to other stupid cc desktop errors but that's another story)

With this partocular file i had this error last week, i tried force quiting to see if the recovered file had my work but it recovered an earlier version which wasn't helpful.

This time, i tried saving as a bunch of different formats without luck.

I ended up duplicating layers to a new document and trying to save that AND IT WORKED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and was able to resolve it by saving as a photoshop pdf - which of course allows you to preserve photoshop editing capabilities

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2018 Jun 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to merge all layer into 1 layer then copy it after that turn on some programs can display image then paste it into that programs finally save it . Done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone here reminded me to start another file and drag layers into file - close old file without saving and save new file as old name Yay! It worked. Good luck to everyone else tat has to start over...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've discovered how to fix this issue!

The problem is with just one or a couple layers. In my case problem layer got a mask.

1) First, you have to find layer with the problem. Merge some layers and try to "save as..." another psd. If it doesn't work try to merge another group of layers. After each attempt you need to "cmd+z". So, your document will be on final stage of your work any time. Finally, you find a problem layer (group of layers) and your document can be saved. Good!

2) Then open new document with the same preferences (size, ratio, etc). In my case I changed "bit depth" to 16 bit instead of 8 bit (didn't pay attention). But I think it doesn't matter.

3) Copy problem layers from your document to the New and delete them from your working psd. Save both documents like "document-part-1.psd" and "document-part-2.psd" (any name). Close all and restart Photoshop.

4) Open both documents and copy problem layers back to the right place. Save your document with original name.

5) PROFIT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply change the output Folder it worked for me. it cured if there is no enough space on disk or drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well all I did was open a old PSD file , move some of the projects have done into the old PSD file you just opened then save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. Make some layers  invisible then try to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take screenshots of adjustment layers (pasting into microsoft paint) and reconstruct after reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this has been going on since 2012, and now this is still happening.... Can't overwrite anything. 

[reply edited by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem, tested the invisibility thing, turns out I was able to save after I had a sepcific layer hidden from view. The layer was a supreme logo, so maybe a copyright issue of some sort? I could save perfectly fine right after hiding it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I opened a blank file with the same canvas dimensions as the correupt file and then dragged and dropped all the layers from the old one to the new one...closed out of the old file...and then saved the new one with a new file name. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just experienced this issue in Photoshop 2021. Fixed it by trimming one of the layers I had used the spot-healing brush on to extend the edge of a layer beyond the canvas. It was a rastered layer, so just 'Select All', 'Cut', 'Paste' - tried saving and voila.

Some comments here said to hide the layers - and doing that worked and let me save the file. After going through one-by-one and seeing which layers had to be hidden for save to work, I found the layer causing me strife.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try hiding all the layers except the background layer, saving it while selecting the background layer, then closing the file. Afterwards you can open it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines