Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Duplicate path" option greyed out, saved paths don't show

Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

Been going through a Photoshop tutorial and I've run into some issues with the Pen tool and paths. One step involves double-clicking on a path, renaming it, and saving it. Even though a "Save Path" step appears in the History tab, no new path is created in the Paths tab. Likewise, when I right click on the path, the Duplicate Path option is greyed out.

paths.jpg

I've been looking on the forums and seeing that some people have had issues with Photoshop not recognizing their GPU, but I've checked the Preferences tab and "Use Graphics Processor" is checked, all RAM is enabled.

preferences.jpg
And in the Advanced Settings tab, I've confirmed that all options are checked. 

advanced.jpg

Does anyone know why I might be having these issues? 

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 17, 2021 Jul 17, 2021

Looks like you have a Shape rather than a Path.  You'd make a duplicate of that in the Layers panel.

Try drawing the path again with the Pen Tool or the Shape Tool set to "Path" in the Options (Window > Options) and then you should be able to double-click the Work Path in the Path panel, name and save it, and then make a duplciate as expected.

Photoshop Shape Tool with Options set to Path instead of ShapePhotoshop Shape Tool with Options set to Path instead of Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you have a Shape rather than a Path.  You'd make a duplicate of that in the Layers panel.

Try drawing the path again with the Pen Tool or the Shape Tool set to "Path" in the Options (Window > Options) and then you should be able to double-click the Work Path in the Path panel, name and save it, and then make a duplciate as expected.

Photoshop Shape Tool with Options set to Path instead of ShapePhotoshop Shape Tool with Options set to Path instead of Shape

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch! Thank you. I've reviewed the instructions and the beginning, they do say to change that dropdown to "Shape" so that does seem to be the root issue. The tutorial I'm following is the "Classroom In A Book" for Photoshop 2018, although the Photoshop version I use is the current 2021 version; have there been updates to Paths/Shapes since then? I understand it's an out-of-date text, but I've had only a few minor hiccups as I've gone through the tutorials.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the tutorial was for Photoshop Elements instead of Photoshop.

To convert a shape layer to a path using Photoshop, with the shape layer active/highlighted, select Edit > Copy.

In the Paths panel, click the Create New Path icon at the bottom of the panel.

With the new path highlighted in the Paths panel, select Edit > Paste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the path a new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2023 Aug 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I mean, the name is in italic. Rename it. It won't be in italic and the option to duplicate will be available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines