• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Use Graphics Processor" is greyed out and nothing is working

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have been working with photoshop for years now and have never had this happen to me. I regularly use the features the the graphics processor uses so I need this to work again.

The exact message I get when hovering my mouse over the area is

"Photoshop detected and error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check Use Graphics Processor to retry."

Now I have spent so long searching the web for answers, trying absolutely everything suggested.

Info:

Graphics is AMD Radeon Vega 3 mobile graphics, with 4GB of Ram and Directx 12 (So I meet the minimum requirements.) It is also all up to date, so is photoshop. 

Things I have tried:

-Reinstalling graphics

-disabling Sniffer.exe (when I did this, moved sniffer to an outside area, photoshop would not open because it said there was a file missing)

-check for updates on both photoshop and graphics

-reset preferences in photoshop

-in my driver, say that photoshop is a game

-of course computer restarts

I can give more info if needed but I am completely stumped. This is one of my lasts hopes.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

I finally found a solution. I returned Photoshop to version 22.2, and it works now. Thank you for those who made suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You failed to mention what exact version of Photoshop you currently have, Adobe released version 22.4 recently that has reportedly addressed the issue of the GPU not been detected, although some people are still experiencing issues even after this update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, sorry. I mentioned that photoshop was completely up to date, meaning the latest version which is 22.4. As in I have 22.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely the same with mine. 

PS also droped like 5 times today on simple actions like move an icon from one artboard to another. My work process is totally ruined. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same with 22.4.0. "Photoshop detected an error in your display driver..."

You must take 21.2.8  ITS WORK!!!!!

iMac 27, 2012

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also uninstall 22.4 and install 22.3

This will tell you how:

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to do this, thank you. Though I have had this problem since 22.3. I'm going to try uninstalling photoshop anyways and reinstalling it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally found a solution. I returned Photoshop to version 22.2, and it works now. Thank you for those who made suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could work for sure, for a time. I reinstalled the drivers and ps itself for 4 times. 

I had most of work time being just fine for a day and eventually die for no reason (no graphic card found or smth). Give them time, they know how to make it worse 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anybody knows if the graphic processor "greyed out" problem has been adressed and fixed with the new updates?

I keep getting notices to update Photoshop, but I won't if the issue has not been fixed yet.

C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several things at play here.
1. Adobe are updating the core graphics functions in Photoshop. This is driven by the operating systems of Apple and Microsoft in which the old Open GL functions are being removed in the case of Apple, or deprecated in the case of Microsoft. This means that the graphics functions that have worked for years must be rewritten to use Metal and Direct X. At the same time, Adobe are sensibly updating those core functions to deliver the additional speed we require to handle the very large files of today.
2. Led by the changes being made above, Adobe introduced new GPU checks in 23.3.1. Unfortunately, these caused issues and have therefore been revised for v22.4. That means that many GPUs that incorrectly did not work in 22.3.1 will now be seen in 22.4 and will function.
3. Some functionality in Photoshop, such as 3D, still relies on the older Open GL graphics functions. To make these work, an additional preference Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas has been added. This can be checked and Photoshop restarted to restore 3D functions to where they were in 22.3
4. Unfortunately, the move to update the core graphics functions will mean that some older GPUs will no longer be suitable. If you are using 22.4 and your GPU is still not recognised (and you only have a single GPU enabled with its latest drivers – conflicting GPUs remain an issue) then you could try and force Photoshop to use your older GPU by creating a file PSUserConfig.txt containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/
Note though that this is requires 22.4 and is not officially supported by Adobe, so may cause other issues – so you do it at your own risk

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave! 

The problem with graphics card is RANDOM (in my case). I could start the app, work for like 4 hours, took a break, had some meeting, back to work - and fail. Restart all system. Work 15 mins. Fail. Restart the PS, move an icon to another artboard - drop the app. Reapitedly. 

Now I've downgraded to 22.4.1 version. It's still stable for three days now for my rig. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@de4m Downgraded to 22.4.1?    That is the latest version of Photoshop - released today.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, my bad. 21.2.8 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had this problem for a few day.  Just did this and everything is back to normal!

Preferences>Technology previews>Deactivate Native Canvas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines