Replace Multiple Smart Objects With Same Name, Different Folder

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2021 Jun 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this has already been answered, I couldn't find it.

I have to do tons of updates of different design options on sets of images from a 3d model(ie. 20+).

This means changing a little detail can require the whole set to be updated, and can happen many times a week. I always start a project by loading my image series as a stack of smart objects, and then process them, and save them as one massive file.

Throughout the project, I have to go through and click over and over "relink to file", hunt down the folder, double check it's the right version, then repeat, sometimes 30 or 40 times.

Is there a way to simply relink all the smart objects to a new folder, and swap the ones with the same filename? (The same as you can do in indesign when a link is broken and it lets you re-pick the folder for all the links.)

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Feature request, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell that would need Scripting. How good are you with JavaScript? 

I wonder though why you don’t replace the linked files and update them all in one go? 

Maybe you could explain the sctructure (of the files and within the psd/psb) with the help of some screenshots? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An alternative way would be to create an assets folder alongside the PSD/PSB. Put copies of your 3D assets in that folder and link to it. 

Then when you want to use a new folder of updated 3D assets, simply copy the contents of your new folder into that assets folder. So to the Photoshop document the file structure has not changed.

Dave

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines