Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

save as command in an action changes location

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Moderator moved from Using the Community (forums) to Photoshop.]

In an action I recorded  a scriptstep to save a tif as a jpg in to a specific folder "jpg@300dpi". Every time PS is being restarted the file path in the "save as"-script step has changed to another (random?) folder. Sometimes even the filename changes. This results in files getting lost and the action needs to be recorded again and again... evry time I use PS. This happens as well with a folder located on a nas as well as with a locally stored folder on  the computer ssd. I'm working on a new Mac Pro with the latest PS-version.

I never experienced this in the previous versions. Is this a bug or how could this be fixed?

Does anyone has the same problem?

Thank you for helping me out!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Your safest approach is to save locally, not direct to a NAS or networked server etc. Then move the files from the local drive to the networked volume.

Networks, removable media | Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain it's a random folder and NOT the last folder opened by your operating system?

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it sounds silly but I've learned to ask the absurd when it comes to technology... is it possible the @ symbol in the script name is causing some type of conflict? @Nancy OShea has a good idea, too, here. It's unlikely anything would be saved to a random folder out of the blue. It's usually the last folder opened in save. There are also some changes in the new PS with saving images and you can now go back to legacy save. Maybe that has something to do with it? Please give us more of your set up info...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 09, 2021 Jul 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The folders I want files to be saved to are mainly called "->jpeg@300dpi" and "->jpeg@72dpi" and I`m using them for years without any problem.

Today the action that I re-recorded yesterday seems to be working well:

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-09 om 11.07.25.png

But in the action I re-recorded some days ago the path is lost and "file or folder not found":

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-09 om 11.09.24.png

Usualy the tif files are opend from of Bridge and tha actions are launched from Bridge too: Tools: Photoshop: Batch...

Schermafbeelding 2021-07-09 om 11.21.44.png

I did som testing with saving files and running actions today but it is difficult to find a trace of the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your safest approach is to save locally, not direct to a NAS or networked server etc. Then move the files from the local drive to the networked volume.

Networks, removable media | Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I indeed encounterd those network related problems in the article with PS some times.

So I'll change my workflow and work locally.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Working directly on the local ssd in the computer work fine.

I didn't encounter those problems anymore.

Thank you all for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines