• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save as image with the same name asks for replace and it creates copy instead.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I save as an image with the same name of one that already exists, Photoshop asks if it can be replaced. I click yes, but it creates copy with the same file name and "cpoy" in the end. Like if I had selected "Save as a copy"

Due to this error I sent the old version image to a client and had problems at work...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might report the bug on the feedback.photoshop.com site where the Photoshop team looks at bugs and feature requests. I found a few similar reports, so you could upvote it by liking a post and/or add a comment to one like this one or create a new report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're saving jpeg, it's not a bug but the way it has to be.

The jpeg specification is extremely limited, and almost anything you can do to a file in Photoshop is not allowed in the jpeg file format specification. Hence the "copy".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It only happens when the files have the same name.

The problem is that Photoshop shows the same name, asks if I want to replace the file. I click yes but it doesn't replace, it creates a new file with the same name and adds "copy" in the name.

It also happens when I select "save as copy".  It used to show the word "copy" in the name in moment you click, so you can edit the name

I use Photoshop since 1994 and it has always work like this: you could see new name of the file with "copy" in the end and delete the copy it if you want. Then it used to replace the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This and similar saving issues have been around for what seems like years now, there are numerous examples both here and at the feedback site where you can add to an existing bug report or create a new one.

I believe that a script would overcome the issue until it is fixed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with you and have the exact same issue. Been using Photoshop forever. It's a bug and I hope they fix it soon. It ads another task you have to watch over when prescious minutes are essential to meet the deadline and not upset the client. Not sure what the other commenter was explaining.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines