• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save/Replace Dialog asks me twice [PS 21.0.2 on Catalina] [LOCKED]

Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Title edited by moderator to reflect the version and OS. This thread is now picking up posts about Save a Copy which is a different issue so I am locking it. If you are using 22.4.2 you can revert to the previous behavior in Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options:

• Enable Legacy Save As
  • Do not append Copy

See this help page for details and cautions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html  

For other questions, please start a new post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When saving over a file (a .jpg in this example) I get two different "do you want to replace..." dialogs that I have to click through. See screen shot.

Why? I don't remember this being the case before, and there is no reason for it. Please explain.

Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 11.37.51 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2020 Mar 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem on Win 10 with latest Ps release , it may be Mac specific or only on your machine. Can you specify versions of OS and Photoshop what can be useful when checking and trying to replicate the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest OS and Photoshop. Catalina, and PS 21.0.2 (whatever that means).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any update available? Try to update Photoshop to latest release which is 21.1.0 Release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, will try, but any idea where the second dialog is coming from. Is it a Mac OS generated dialog, that errantly duplicates what was already asked from the first Photoshop generated dialog? And if so, they really can't fix that between Adobe and Apple.

Ugh... uneccesary verification dialogs are so rampant these days. Every devleoper thinks it's cool that they too can write a little code for "Program X wants to do something, close something, access something..."  In some cases it makes sense, like if you will lose data, but in most cases Yes just open, call, save, or close the damn thing. I can undo or reopen if it was a mistake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PS version is 21.1.0 and it still asks that confirmation twice. Not even an "Are you sure? Last chance ..." Just the same question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if I am missremebering; but I think there was a setting in older PC versions where you could choose between the WinOS file selector or the Adobe one. Don’t think the setting is still there though or maybe I am thinking of a different program. Nor am I certain that there is/was a similar setting in the Mac version. But it might be worth having a look at your Photoshop Preferences, might possibly be connected to your problem ... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that on macOS Catalina 10.15 when using File>Export>Save for Web?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, only on save for web. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue for me - also I get an issue where if I'm trying to save over an old file, when you get that first 'Do you want to replace it' dialogue, you used to be able to just press the 'enter' key (making for a fast workflow if you're saving out a number of JPEGs from teh same PSD over existing ones), but now the 'cancel' button is the default and you have to use the mouse to physically click the 'replace' button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue and have had it for many years, through numerous PS versions and MacOS versions. Only in Save for web. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using PS 21.2 on a Mac running OSX Catalina 10.15.5 and Photoshop when trying to replace a file, PS asks "Do you want to replace?", but then save s a COPY, so I have to manually delete the original file, and rename the copy. 

This did not happen to me before PS 2020.

Adobe - Please fix, as if you have to do lots of edits, this quickly becomes very tedious!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree, please fix. Still known issue since 21.1. running 21.2 and still unable to avoid double (are you sure, are you really sure) window prompts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Count me as someone who has this issue too. June 2020 version of PS and latest Mac Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 27, 2020 Aug 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this problem too, with Catalina 10.15.6 and up-to-date Photoshop. Completely annoying redundancy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! Another example of Lazy Programming by Adobe - just ignoring the Mac!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, Adobe please fix!! So frustrating when I used to be able to have a speedy workflow and now it's made entire cumbersome with dual dialogs & default "cancel" button selection. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YEs they should fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh god, same. At least you could make it a biiiit faster by hitting enter, but nope, cancel is the default button, and then on the photoshop dialogue (the second one) you can't select with enter, it has to be by clicking. It's so annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if you're on Windows or on Mac, but on Mac I found that when the first dialog comes up you should be able to press Cmd + R and that does "Replace" for that one, and then on the second I am able to press enter to select "Replace." If you're on Windows then maybe that's why you can't press enter for the second box? And for the first, I'm guessing Ctrl + R might do the trick on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same issue. Sometimes you forget to wait (waste time / larger files take longer wait time) upload to web, forget that you still uploaded old file because the new file wasn't overwritten... Causes lots of issues. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I hate this feature. It's reduntant and really annoying when saving over files all day long. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same goes for me. Why? Please fix this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 29, 2020 Dec 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been going on for a long time. It's just another thing we deal with. Realize, Adobe has pretty much a monopoly so as long as the product is tollerable and the money is coming in, there's no real incentive to do more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines