• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving as Copy instead of Overwriting: PS 2020 with macOS Catalina [locked]

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with the new update. Finally, I am seeing my extension name update when a new one is selected in the save as dialog box... however I am still having an issue with saving over original files. If I make changes to a file then try to save over the .png file it keeps saving as filename-copy.png. I am not able to unselect the "Save as a copy" box. Anyone else?

[subject edited for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Contacted Adobe support — said that it's a known issue and pointed me here:
Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

Maybe it's more useful to write there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

This bug introduced by Apple with macOS Catalina has been resolved with 22.4.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 212 Replies 212
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this maddening issue. Please please please Adobe FIX this!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news with this issue? have this happening on all of my macs now – so frustrating, having to delete and rename files everytime, sometimes on hundreds of images. Driving me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those having this issue there are currently two work arounds I have found. Not idea, by any means, but this might help relieve some stress... maybe.

Workaround 1 - I've notice this only happens for me when the document has layers. If you flatten the document down to a single layer and save it the file will properly overwrite without making a copy. (Of course you'll likely need to un-flatten the layers after saving, depending on your needs.)

Workaround 2 - Use the Export -> Export As... option from the File Menu. It's not as slick as the Save As command but it seems to overwrite the files correctly when this is used.

Hopefully Adobe will fix this behaviour in the next patch.

EDIT: Changed Workaround 1 to say "flatten" instead of "merge."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's absurd they haven't fixed this yet - these recent updates have been so regressive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this issue as well when saving .jpg images. I am running the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Very annoying. I had Photoshop 2020 before I updated to Catalina and it worked just fine. Once I updated from Mojave to Catalina 10.15.3 it started happening. Adobe needs to fix this ASAP. Photoshop updated today to 21.1.0 and it still isn't fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is SO annoying! For me it just started yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, the same problem is still happening, weeks after it was first mentioned and a couple of updates later. Why change a bit of functionality when it worked fine for most paying customers. Change for the sake of change from where I'm sitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does everyone with the problems have the updated Catalina OS? Becuase that seems to be the issue. The new OS is a 64bit system and Adobe software is 32bit so there is massive disfunction. I spoke to Apple yesterday and they've been hearing this since the update the and tech told me that Apple warned Adobe (and other software developers) for years before release. Anyhoo, the solution seems to be downgrading to Mojave but of course that's not nearly as easy as it sounds. 

In my opionion Adobe's overall performance took a massive hit when they went to the cloud system. It's more convenient and affordable for sure but everything from the technology to customer support has just plummetted downhill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  I read this whole thread and concur.  Saving over existing .PNGs and PS creating "copies" even when I click "REPLACE" has been an issue for me for months. I'm assuming it has to do with the Catalina update on Mac as others have said.  Patiently waiting for a fix from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here on macOS Catalina, Photoshop v21.1.0.

This is a new bug - I have been overwriting JPG files for many years, but it seems impossible now.
This is definitely a bug, not a feature, so I am adding my voice to the chorus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2020 Mar 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also having this issue. Thje originaly explanation about a "limited format" doesn't make sense because I'm just replacing a previous export. Simply having "The file must be saved as a copy with this selection" does not fix the workflow problem of not being able to replace specific assets in my project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, been having the same issue. After digging around I found this workaround for JPGs, PNGs, SVGs, and GIF files:

File > Export > Export As will actually overwrite the file in question, not create a copy like the glitchy Save As command. It's more time consuming, but maybe not as time consuming as having to navigate to the saved file, deleting the old one, and renaming the copy. Hope this helps!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone said in another thread that the save/as function has been supplanted by Export/As.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be (kind of) alright if Export/As had the full range of file options, but it's only limited to JPGs, PNGs, SVGs, and GIF files. It's useless if when trying to overwrite a TIFF, PDF, or any other file format. Save As has always been a quick and easy way to update and replace files of any type, and I think the aim is for it to continue being that. I don't think this loss of functionality is an intended 'upgrade,' this is a bug that Adobe needs to address. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a shame that Adobe still hasn't fixed this. The work around is very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just unacceptable that Adobe still hasn't fixed this. The last version of their software is ripe with bugs, and small useless changes that have the only effect of annoying/disrupting longtime professional users. I wish I could just ditch PS2020 and reinstall 2019. I also think it's appalling that nobody from Adobe has chimed in on this thread and let us all know what the heck is going on, and why aren't they fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does anyone know is there an available version of Photoshop we can get back to, without this annoying bug?
I am kind of lost here, because I switched from windows to macOS, so I am not sure exactly when this started to happen with mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously a bug. Patiently waiting for a solution...for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2020 Apr 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is nothing on the feedback.photoshop website, except of bunch of people desperately waiting for solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why hasn't there been a fix yet Adobe???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2020 Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it's Adobe! and there products suck! i even you freeware because it works better!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2020 Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JK, did you update to 20.0.7 or 21.1.2?
File naming options don't work correctly in the Save As dialog

Osiyo, I understand frustration, but using insults might not be the most constructive way to express it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A company the size of adobe - has no excuse for putting out buggy inferior software - when newer lesser companies a putting out great software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried several different versions of photoshop. The latest one and the last old 20 version they have on their site. I decided to do an erase and install and downgraded to Mojave for the time being. Everything is working normally with Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines