• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving as Copy instead of Overwriting: PS 2020 with macOS Catalina [locked]

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue with the new update. Finally, I am seeing my extension name update when a new one is selected in the save as dialog box... however I am still having an issue with saving over original files. If I make changes to a file then try to save over the .png file it keeps saving as filename-copy.png. I am not able to unselect the "Save as a copy" box. Anyone else?

[subject edited for clarity]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Contacted Adobe support — said that it's a known issue and pointed me here:
Photoshop: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

Maybe it's more useful to write there?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

This bug introduced by Apple with macOS Catalina has been resolved with 22.4.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 212 Replies 212
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Adobe doesn't care about you or its software - it cares about making money - Photoshop is aold technology!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are all volunteers trying to help! try to be a bit nicer online. Adobe cares about the software and the customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nobodies mad at the volunteers, we're pissed at the engineers who increasingly break useful functionality for no apparnet reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

like taking your to get the oil changed and you drive out with no brake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been fixed (at least for my use case) in 22.4.0. The "new" Save a Copy command replaces the file the way I expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating now my fingers are crossed once again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated after seeing this and it's fixed for me too. Only took a year and a half.

PS, you beat me to that username!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except they didnt' REALLY fix the problem. They just moved it to a different part of the work flow. 

Now, if you are starting with a freshPSD, and want to save as a .jpg for the first time you are FORCED to select "Save a Copy" and it adds the "copy" indicator to the file name. You still have to remove it before saving. 

The overwrite feature was fixed, but this is still a cluster [removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. Apple did not want to change this, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was terminally broken and finished, and had to be totally rewritten.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit or layers. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, but with Catalina it was no longer possible to hide.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been a sacred principle in Photoshop, so it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to v22.4 today. Now we have 'save a copy' and it adds 'copy' in the filename if you switch to another file format. So now I still have to go back and manually delete 'copy' in the filename if just saving a jpg on my desktop from a PSD. This is bull! Why the hell am I dropping almost $60 a month on this crap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you read the post directly above yours, you'll find the explanation for why this had to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I read the post.
And I'm not happy about this either.
Affinity is looking better and better all the time Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm locking this thread from October 24, 2019. The issue is about the bug Apple introduced with Catalina that Adobe fixed with PS 22.4 and it is now getting posts from those who do not like the fix, which is a different issue. 

If you don't like the fix, please add to one of the many posts on the same topic or start a new thread.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines