• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving/File extension issue in Photoshop 21.1.0

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community! First time posting here!

I'm using OSX Catalina and I'm running the latest version of Photoshop. I noticed that now when I go to Save for Web (Legacy) Photoshop brings up the Save dialog box and the entire file name and extension are selected (Untitled.jpg). So when I type a file name it deletes the file extension and will not add it "automagically" like before. Save As works fine and so does Save but I like my good old Save for Web! Any other solutions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

"So when I type a file name it deletes the file extension and will not add it "automagically" like before. Save As works fine and so does Save but I like my good old Save for Web!"

This is fixed in the current version 22.5.1. If you rename the file without the extension, the correct extension for the file type selected in the Save For Web dialog is added when the file is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed hte new updates yesterday.. 22.4.1 still busted... Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2021 May 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an issue across all Adobe products, not just Photoshop. All other apps that I use by Microsoft, Apple, etc. do not have this problem.

Adobe Save As.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ummmm now its messed up on the PC version now   Adobe added atleast 5 more clicks to the saving a jpeg version of a current ducument   wtheck !?  as someone who saves jpegs frequently for reviews and sharing and just simple versioning/ progress  this will frustrate me EVERY time and slow mme down   grrrrrrr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 22.4.1 on Catalina – still broken. How much is this subscription per month?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

ADOBE can you please fix this issue. It slows everyones workflow. 

So annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please fix. It's super annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've don't have this problem at all with PS2021 on my 2019 Macbook Pro running Catalina - BUT - my older MacPro running Mojave with PS2021 just started doing this a couple of weeks ago - dropping the automatic additon of the extension when saving a file. In over 25 yrs using Adobe apps I've ever seen it before and not happy to see others have been seeing this for a while now. I came to look on here because I thought maybe I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere. Someone please let me know if I did, lol! Sad to see the lack of response from Adobe for such a brilliant and expensive product. Would love to have a solution sooner rather than over a year later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Studio5150 and Everyone!

Thanks for posting. I had completely lost hope of this ever getting fixed, but as it turns out. Because of Studio5150's post on this thread. I went ahead and did the latest update today (22.5.1) and tested this issue just now and it's finally resolved. Took a long time, but finally adobe came thru. 

Thanks for posting. Enjoy the updates guys. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

misagarcia - what OS and Mac are you using please? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently on 

MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.6

Photoshop 22.5.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not working for me.
Photoshop 22.5.1 
Mac OS 10.14.6
MacBook Pro 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still broken for me too.

Photoshop 22.5.1 
Mac OS 11.5.2
MacBook Pro 2017

Adobe was pretty good at taking the annual subscription last week though so there must still be somebody alive in there 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not working for me either, I'm on OS 10.14.6. I think the clear message is to update to 10.15.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post misagarcia! I bit the bullet and moved on up to Catalina. Everything is fine now and it didn't even cause any problems with my printers, scanners, Wacom tablets or any other peripherals. I just get grumpy when I feel I'm being forced to move forward at someone else's pace. Grrrrr. Ok, all good now. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you achieved that. I have had every incremental update of both Photoshop and OSX for almost 2 years and it has never worked as shown in your screenshot on any version of Photoshop or OSX during that time, right up to and inclulding today with Photoshop 23 and OSX Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For every item Adobe refuses to fix, we should be refunded $5 per month for every broken item thqt doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So when I type a file name it deletes the file extension and will not add it "automagically" like before. Save As works fine and so does Save but I like my good old Save for Web!"

This is fixed in the current version 22.5.1. If you rename the file without the extension, the correct extension for the file type selected in the Save For Web dialog is added when the file is saved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if you fixed it, you've broken it again. See the below results in Photoshop 23 (Mac OSX Monterey).

Happens every time. The file name was to be "test" and the extension in this example was to be .gif

Does the same with a different file that was to be .jpg

End result is you end up with Frankenstein.

Adobe and Apple seem to be in competition these days to see who can screw up things the most that use to work perfectly fine in the name of "product improvement"

Like most daily photoshop usuers, I have been suffering with the work-flow destroying issues of this bug for almost 2 years!

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 11.27.56 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 11.31.34 am.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SS ADMIN wrote:

Well, if you fixed it, you've broken it again.

Can you tell us if the same thing happens when you do not include a period in the filename?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not include a period in the filenames in the first instance. Just typed the file name by itself as recommended by Adobe as part of the previous "fix". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears to be adding the file extension after the first keyed input into the name box when you highlight the entire save file name and change it to anything, requiring you to go back and delete, then key in the full intended name.

This is a really stupid problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem

Mac OS 10.15.7

Photoshop 22.5.3

This is enterily Unprofessional. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"This is entirely unprofessional ..."

I think you just found the perfect epitaph for Adobe's tombstone.

On a separate note, the bug obviously isn't deemed a high priority to fix since today's 23.01 release still does it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no news about this bug? It's driving me crazy, I need to delete entirelly two times the filename to re-add it manually with his extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2021 Dec 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Okay, I found this relpy from another user  "Charles.Rose" Thanks Heaps Charles!!! And it worked for me!! Finally it worked !!  So give it a try.

Here is what he did.

Under photoshop preferences/File
handling change the APPEND FILE EXTENSION dropdown from Always to Never, save, and then quit
photoshop. Reopen photoshop, and then in photoshop preferences/File handling change the APPEND FILE
EXTENSION dropdown from Never back to Always and the optionally check Use Lower Case. This seemed to
do the trick for me and now my extension appear as expected in the save image dialog boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines