• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

scratch disk full

New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My scratch disk is full, but I can not find my media cache folder or common folder within my Abode folder anywhere on my macbook! I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem/ if there is an alternative way to clear my cache without going to these folders. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Your hard drive is used as a scratch disk. Your operating system (macOS or Windows) needs empty space to work, and so does Photoshop (which it calls scratch disk).

It sounds like your hard drive is just about full, so you need to free up space. Delete any files you no longer need, copy old files to an external hard drive, move them to cloud storage (such as Dropbox), or whatever you can do to free up space.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your hard drive is used as a scratch disk. Your operating system (macOS or Windows) needs empty space to work, and so does Photoshop (which it calls scratch disk).

It sounds like your hard drive is just about full, so you need to free up space. Delete any files you no longer need, copy old files to an external hard drive, move them to cloud storage (such as Dropbox), or whatever you can do to free up space.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked for me! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The scratch file is a temporary file in the root folder of whatever disk you set in Preferences. It is created when Photoshop opens and is deleted on closure. It starts at around 5GB and can grow in use to many GB, so it advisable to have at least 100GB free on the disk you choose for scratch.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My scratch disk continues to say its full.  I have deleted unused programs and files.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and I still can not access my workspace.  I am frustrated and using important time.

Please help,  I am VERY new but I am pretty tech saavy.  I have space on my hard drive and not many files.  Please Help is you can.!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you do not have enough disk space recommended to attach an empty external drive that will serve as another scratch disk.

connect and restart.

From the Preference file choosescratch disk:

(you can have up to 4)

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 10.50.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @chanaart 

Mine says I have 367.50 and it will not allow me to create a new document.  Any advice?

Cgstheaka

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

367.5 GB free or 367.5 MB  free?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have a lacie external and it doesnt show up on that screen to change it to my scratch disk. Does anyone know how to fix this issue ? Because I can't even open photoshop at all now. And im afraid to delete and re-install the entire app because I dont want to lose my actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines