• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Screen flicker and flashing while editing in Photoshop on iMac running macOS Catalina

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, just started screen flickering / flashing on iMac Catalina whilst using various tools on an image / document. It has never done this before and I don't know if there has been a Photoshop problem / new software release which is causing it? Anybody else having the same problem at all?

Thanks

{Thread title modified by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are sorry about the experience with Photoshop. Would you mind telling us if the issue started after the latest Photoshop update or a macOS update? Any other recent changes that you have done to the computer?

Please go to the Preferences of Photoshop, then Performance and uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor". Once done, quit and relaunch Photoshop to check if that helps.

Regards,

Nikunj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I can't think that it started with the last Mac OS upgrade as I have been on Catalina 10.15.3 for a while and it has only just started.

The graphics processor has always been unchecked as there were issues with Photoshop from the outset of me having this Mac 18 months ago, which did help initially.

Thanks

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me that was exactly the problem. Have you tried activating the graphics processor? The problem was resolved for me by doing that and restarting Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ahve excatly the same problem. Nothing changed and sudenly it started flickering as I try to edit. My graphic processor is unchecked. I'm runing Mac OS 11.4. Did anyone solve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try activating the graphics processor ans restart the program. For me it didn't work with the GPU unchecked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May have the same problem but solved it temporarily by resizing the Photoshop window to fit the MacBook Pro display. Noticed it when I unplugged the larger external screen and the photoshop window was still larger than the macbook display. Can still replicate the issue if I make the window larger both on the macbook or the external screen... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, when I disconnect the external screen from my MacBook I have the blinking issue. When I resize the Photoshop window to the size of the MacBook the problem goes away. That tells me the blinking it is an issue within Photoshop not allowing its window to be larger than the screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggesting that -- that solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue here with macOS 15 (aka Monterey).

(Finally) resolved by switching Presets: in the Displays system preference from the standard "Apple Display (P3-500 nits)" to "Design & Print (P3-50)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2022 Aug 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just started happening with my Macbook Pro 14" M1Pro - changing presets does not help. This is only happening in Photoshop. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this problem too. I did as suggested- uncheck the option to "Use Graphics Processor". - that stopped the flickering but now Photoshop is slow and jerky- even scrolling up or down within an image HELP!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some suggestions from Adobe for GPU issues.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines