• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SHIFT Key doesn't contrain Scale Transform (version 20.0.0)

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% reproducible bug ... can't wait to see what other goodies we have broken ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's not a bug, it's a new feature. The behaviour has been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

It can be disabled if required.

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 this comment. This is why I'm so very disappointed with this 'feature' in the 2019 release. Why would they compromise cross application consistency. It BOGGLES MY MIND. Adobe, you need to get your internal teams on the same page here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it makes sense to have proportional constrain be the default, I habitually hold the SHIFT key for proportional constrained scaling, and the ALT/OPTION key for non-proportional scaling.

Now, if you hold the ALT/OPTION key while scaling, it does proportional scaling, and holding the SHIFT key does non-proportional scaling -- exactly the reverse of how it's been for decades. Why not have the old keys still do what they used to do?

It's like some kind of Zen monk training. I swear I can hear the developers giggling and doing Yoda impressions: "Unlearn what you have learned, you must."

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, John. I'm applauding you: if you listen closely enough, you can hear the sound of my one hand clapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is absolutely ass backwards! Make it a preference and keep legacy as default and let the user switch it to the new setting if they want it. The fact I had to even create a preference text file to turn this back is ridiculous!!! Come on Adobe, you guys are effin' up some of the most standard shortcuts we've used for over 20 years!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using PS for more than 15 years using SHIFT to scale properly, even in other softwares this is very natural. I have not idea what were thinking the developers folks in Adobe when changing this.

I lost lots of hours fighting with this "new feature" thinking it was a bug, so I search it until I found this post. BTW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What crazy mind comes up with such a nonsense! I'm struggling for 1 hour now with this new "feature". Make it an option, which is NOT on by default. Thanks for the workaround for switching back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is such trash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new "feature" is incredibly stupid and unnecessary. Please make it an option or switch it back. Nonsense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's extra wonderful about this new feature-not-a-bug is that you still need to hold down SHIFT to proportionally scale shape layers.

So much fun.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont tell me adobe make that shift key changing because of the apple ipad Pro is compatable with the photo shop in full version. In touch screen iPad environment, it is hard to do a fix scale image transformation, but holding shift key, unless you got a separate keyboard, so they reverse it, that use to attract new iPad customer, also it become the reason of photoshop 2019 is launch early in 2018, betray old  to attract new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on PC in Adobe Photoshop CC and no longer need to hold the 'shift' key to scale proportionally. A bit weird, but seems t be a logical change. How are you coping with it now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the new photoshop transform behavior They make it Easy for new user and little bit confusing for the old ones.

When you try to resize an image or any raster object then no need to hold shift to resize it Proportionally.

And When you try to Resize an Vector shape then you need to Hold Shift to resize it Proportionally.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since 1990 and this probably qualifies as one of the more annoying behavior upgrades. Have to resist putting my finger on that shift key!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...or revert to the previous behaviour. Your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  Yes it is lil bit confusing for old user but same as it is easier for new user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, how hard is it to hold the shift key. Thousands of us have learned it the same way, as a 'new user'.  Changing a function like this when you have thousands and thousands of professionals who have to crank out work every day, just to make it easier for a 'new user? Sounds like you got a UX team with their head up their arses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes It is hard. But they left a option for us to revert it back to its old behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the f!#$ was Adobe thinking!.. Horrible.. there was nothing wrong with the shift key constrain so why did they change it.. Do they want for us long time photoshop powers users, to hate them.. Who's idea was this? Does the person who made this update even use photoshop? They should be fired! FIRED! FIRED! FIRED!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for providing a manual fix to this. this saved me from punching the screen.

Adobe, You are changing core features of Photoshop that existed for years. especially to the UX. why? Did you get bored with what you had for years?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Feedback from our side:

the new SHIFT key behavior (especially with shape layers being different!) is a complete mess for every established workflow.

@Adobe: Please if you introduce such drastic changes, always(!) make them optional with a checkbox to deactivate in the preferences panel!
Big thanks to to John for posting a manual solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The implementation of this "change/bug/new feature" is not only inconsistent, but also simply faulty. Try using the shift key to scale in one direction only and the image will flicker and it is hard to snap it to help lines for example.

Also, when you paste from the clipboard, it acts like in previous version.

Why is Photoshop getting more and more buggy with every update?

Adobe - if you implement a new thing, do it right, or don't do it.

People using Photoshop have to get their work done. This does not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been a Retoucher Since 1989, and adopted photoshop when it first came onto the Market. I am exremely upset!!!

This is making my Job impossible, Slowing me down daily, why in the hell would the transform command be changed At All? It makes zero sense.

Can someone at Adobe please explain this to me?

And now apparently I have to be able to basically write code to get it back the way it was??? Are you Serious?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Yes agreed.  "Me too", as we apparently have to say these days!

I have been using Photoshop since v3 (1994) - so 14 years odd. Whilst I rarely jump into the MATMOS to have a rant I am thoroughly *SICK & TIRED* of Adobe's arrogant attitude to their paying customers. If you've spent years learning to fluidly use this tool; why on earth would some spotty nerd assume it was a good idea to change the position of the key strokes which professional have learned to use intuitively and not even add a button that allows us to revert to classic behaviour.

Getting on stage as a professional flute player and having Adobe say "we thought we would move your keys about a bit mate..." would clearly seem ridiculous to everyone. It simply slows us down and worse, makes us look like amateurs in front of customers. I have been fighting this for days now and it's doing my head in. Thanks for the text line advice above, we will see if that fixes it...

Adobe: If you can't think on anything useful to do, leave it alone, dump some staff, go home. Just STOP FIDDLING!!!

JM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I also can't see the transform box and I'm used too holding Shift.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem with shift. For new users it might be more intuitive to keep proportions by default ... but I also run Illustrator side by side and it works the other way around! Same for other CC apps. Inconsistency is awful for productivity. Also shift still acts like a snapping / constraint key within Photoshop itself when transforming shapes or rotating objects etc.

The worst part – tweaking some PSUserConfig.txt won't let Adobe know if this was a right move or not. Installing previous Photoshop version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2018 Dec 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After decades of having it one way, why would you go and flip it? Even if you realize the other way makes more sense - people have gotten used to it, and this is the way it is - changing it seems completely counter-intuitive. Actually worse than just changing - it was just reversed/flipped. Seems like a pretty lame idea...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines