• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SHIFT Key doesn't contrain Scale Transform (version 20.0.0)

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% reproducible bug ... can't wait to see what other goodies we have broken ...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

It's not a bug, it's a new feature. The behaviour has been reversed. Default is now proportional (constrain) - no Shift required. Shift for non-proportional.

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Scaling Images with shift no longer works after update (20.0)

It can be disabled if required.

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

To revert to the legacy transform behavior, do the following:

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UNILATERAL CHANGE / NOT AN IMPROVEMENT
I've used Photoshop since the original beta-version.... I've also worked in Usability interface design and understand the challenge/thin line you walk when trying of improve an interface while trying not to cause issue for long-time users. All the more reason, to choose carefully when considering "improvements".
This was NOT an improvement. it was a UNILATERAL change (which feels like a bug). Shift-key for proportional sizing is a STANDARD -- not just in all software but in ALL of the rest of Adobe's own suite of products.

TELL MY HANDS
My hands do the work -- I don't interface with the menu alot -- I use commands with my hands and if you're going to change core product functionality, I not only have to retrain my head, my hands have to relearn.

THERE IS A BUG

With your new "feature", when sizing PLACED objects, we no longer hold the shift-key for proportional sizing -- BUT ONLY for placed bitmap objects (jpg, png) -- if I size a placed vector object (eps, ai), I still need to hold the shift-key for proportional sizing. I suspect this is the case, because the vector object carries the functionality from Illustrator -- which STILL honors the original shift-key functionality.
ONCE AGAIN: The reason you DO NOT unilaterally make a change to a core functionality in ONLY ONE Adobe product. You sell them as a suite -- it's supposed to feel SEAMLESS between the products. WTF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Adobe's defense of this reversal of more than 30 years of usability is basically old dogs need to learn new tricks so that new users have a better experience. I find that unconscionable. We're your bread and butter. We're the ones who have supported you since version 1.0.

Changing a function to no function the complete opposite as it always has (not to mention the opposite of every other Adobe CC application) is insane and extremely short sighted. At the very least, it should have been an option users could select. Very poor customer service. F-

Thanks, John Waller, for the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, this is ridiculous. Make it a preference FFS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe people,

I'd like to voice that I too would love for this behavior to go back to the way it was before. I don't mind adjusting my habits with new updates especially if they create an improvement in workflow. This update would probably be an improvement for me if the other design programs that I use regularly (Illustrator & InDesign) had a similar feature. But, since I still have to hold the shift key for contrained proportions on those programs, it's very hard to change that habit in Photoshop only. I say change them all to have that behavior or leave PS as is. That's my request for future updates. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sarah,

Best to add your voice to the official Adobe feedback forum where Adobe product managers hang out.

Photoshop CC 2019: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy be...

This is a user-to-user forum. There's little chance of Adobe reading your comments here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I'll do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This no longer works on the latest update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi pyj515,

It's now an option in the General Preferences, just tick "Use Legacy Free Transform". We don't have to use the little patch document now. . .yay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2019 Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i will never understand how you can punch into the face of long time users like this. with the latest update the

TransformProportionalScale 0

doesn't even work anymore... i really wish the person who made this decisions burn in hell.

seems the mentallity there must be why keep good working things, lets destroy every workflow there is just for fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why.? If you don't like it just do as John showed in post 57 and turn it off.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why not just add a function like "a shitty new way of transforming" instead of calling a good working way "legacy" and skrew users by having to use secret settings in text files and such things.

they ARE totally nuts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude it's working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude it's  100% working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It IS a bug. An UX bug in this case.

If something doesn't work as it should and annoying the living sh*t out of users then it's a bug. Whoever came up with this should be fired, seriously. This is effed up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now a setting under Preferences > General to bring back The SHIFT KEY Proportional Scale and Transform option. You can go to Edit > Preferences > General and put a checkmark on the "Use Legacy Free Transform" box. That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this is not the case.   "Use Legacy Free Transform" box does not exist in General Preferences.

Adobe has removed the capability to scale proportionally by dragging an image with or without the shift key. THIS IS A MAJOR DOWNGRADE.  

Adobe should remove all of the other features in Illustrator and just send people a pencil and paper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Got posted in wrong group. Sorry, no way to delete this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines