• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart Object > Replace Contents

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a psd file that I purchased with a smart layer holding an image.  When I follow the instructions Layer>Smart Object>Replace Contents the replace contents is greyed out and not available.  I played around and looked on line.  I managed to get it to work one time but do not know what I did to accomplish that.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. What is your smart object made up of? If it's another external image, then perhaps you placed it using Place>Embedded? If so, you can convert it to linked, so externally editable and replaceable by clicking the Convert to Linked button in the Properties panel, when the layer is selected.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post some screenshot with Layers panel visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Open the 'original' image and double click on the Smart Object layer. This opens it in a new window showing how it is made up.  i.e. Smart Objects generally consist of multiple layers.  You can see that you are in a new window as it will have a PSB format

Now select the Smart Object layer and do your Layer > Smart Object > Replace Contents

A load file window will open and you can select any image format (including layered PSD images) which will load into the Smart Object overwriting its original content.

Note this happens in a new document window.  If you use Ctrl s (Cmd s) that will save the change to the original document. You can then close the PDB file.

Does that help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines