• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Smart object missing

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a similar problem or a solution online. I have a photoshop file with a few linked smart objects. I was working on the file yesterday saved everything when I opened it today one of my smart ojects is now missing. I click on the link to reconnect it, it takes me to my appdata temp files and I can see all the other smart objects but not the missing one. I definetly didn't delete it so what has happened to it and how do I get it back? 

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you  backup your application user data.  If your linked  smart object layers linked object files has been deleted you need to recover the deleted file.  If your linked smart object layer was link to  a files in a Temp folder it is very likely that the file would be deleted when the application that was using the temp file  terminated or the drive was cleaned up.   Temp files will be deleted. Currently there are 592 temp files in my user Id Application Local Temp folder.  The largest  7GB files is Photoshop's scratch disk space it will grow and it  will be deleted when I close Photoshop.

image.png

I Closed PS and tries deleting all files in my temp folder.  31 were not deleted for they are is use by Chrome, Adobe Creative Cloud,  Node.js and other services that are running

image.png

That freed around 15GB on my C:

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No I don't backup my user data unfortunatly. I think it was probably cleaned up by Windows. I did check my recycling bin but nothing useful 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No unfortunatly I do not backup my application data. I don't know what has happend to the linked file because I never deleted it and it was working fine yesterday. I find it really odd, I've never had this happen before. I even tried to recoved old versions of the psd however the smart object is missing from them as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you linked the smarts object layer to a temp file you most likely will need to create a  replacement object file and link the layer the the new file you create.  Or delete the smarts object layer and create a new smart object layer  to replace the one you deleted.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't intentinally link it to a temp file its just what Photoshop does by default. I created the smart object and until today I didn't really consider where photoshop saved it. I assumed it was embedded. I went through my recycling bin to see if it ended up there but no luck. The problem with creating a replacment is I have artwork I would have to recreate in the smart object. In the main PSD its still shows up as a highres image, I just can no longer edit it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you wrote does not make sense to me its not correct.

" I created the smart object and until today I didn't really consider where photoshop saved it."

You create a Smart object layer by either converting a  layer(s) to a smart object layer or place in an image files as an embedded smart object layer or as linked smart object layer.  There is not considering where photoshop saved some file.  Photoshop does not even have to have save the image file.  You specify which image file to link.   You would have to go far out of your way to specify a temp Photoshop file.  You would need to un hide your temp folder and then select some temp  file that Photoshop was using at the time you were creating the Smart Object Layer with a linked image file.    You would not have places a temp file without considering temp space.  You most likely linke to a file that was not in temp space  and at some later point in time that file was deleted. The only reason Temp space is in this thread is you also wrote

" it takes me to my appdata temp files and I can see all the other smart objects but not the missing one"  That to is wrong to me.  Linked smart object  image files should not be in temp space.  You should not see your other linked smart objects image files in you user id temp space. You would have to have a strang work flow for them to be in temp space

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I'm sorry if the exact wording I used didn't make sense to you. I'm trying to explain what happend but as you seem to be so padantic about my wording let me try again. 

I created this photshop file moths ago. It is a template I use with has a 3 walls, all of which are smart objects. When I first created it yes I did bring in the walls as seperate files, which is why they are linked smart objects not embedded files. However I use this template a lot it has many itterations. Each time I create a new piece of artwork with it I edit the smart objects, when I save them it updates in the main file. Now each of these new edits to the samrt objects obviously get saved somewhere....I never knew where they got saved. I didn't question it because I would open my file edit it, save it and it all worked fine. Only yesterday when I had this odd problem come up did I think...Hmmm where are those smart object files I keep editing saved, because the original template is the same and the original smart objects I use in the template are the same. So I googled it found it was in the appdata temp folder. I go to the folder and there I find some random premiere projects and a bunch of photoshop smart objects, except for the one I am missing. 

So yea maybe my process isn't the best maybe each time I create a new piece of artwork for my template I should save out each smart object and then link them in the folder I am working on. However I didn't really think this was nessesarry because until yesterday I just assumed they were embedded in the file or something like that. I didn't consider photoshop saving them in some random location. I didn't put much thought into it all all because it just worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMO a template should have Smarts object that are Photoshop Objects that are embedded smarts object layers. The Template PSD will be self contained.  Template PSD files should not be Changed,   You can rename the  .PSD to .PSDT so you will not accidentally change a your template.  PSDT files open as a new unsaved document.  When you populate a template you save out a populated copy they do not need to be layered PSD copy Jpeg or  flat Tiff would be best space wise.  You only save Populated PSD files if you need  edit  the output further by hand in the future you could save layered Tiff files  so you will not confuse your output files with being a template.   Template Files should not be change the embedded smart object are the object you created when you created the template.    It sounds like you have a messes up work flow.  Your templates files are being modified.  Output file if jpeg will not be layer files they will not be any smart layer.. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never used .PSDT files. I will have a go at using it. Hopefully it will prevent it from happening again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us about these smart objects did you copy from Illustrator and paste into photoshop? Might you have added this to a library when pasting? 

MikeGondek_0-1624625688088.png

This option is on by default, but annoying to many people and turned off. So you may want to check your library items and log in under same account, to see if the item still exists there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes I have that turned off. I only use my library for colours

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines