• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Something for the weekend - Part 138 - Disturbing the peace!

Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a quiet summer afternoon in the village of Staithes, North Yorkshire. Nothing can disturb the peace, until.............................    Well that is for you to decide 🙂

The “rules”:

* Anything goes, as long as it meets the forum rules on decency, copyright etc

* Anyone, and everyone, is welcome to have a go, whether you are a complete beginner or a Photoshop expert.

* There are no prizes apart from the chance to practice, show off, or bring a bit of humour and fun. Don't be shy, join in and have a go!

To download the image below at its full pixel size, and with an embedded ICC colour profile (sRGB), hover over the image and click on the circle with the arrows at the top right. Then, when the image opens in its own window, right click and choose “Save Image As/Save Target As” (or similar depending on your browser).

SFTW138Staithes.jpg

When posting back your image – please use the Blue reply button in this first post. If posting a comment on someone else’s entry then please use the grey reply button next to their image post.

Have fun.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advocate ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aviles_210601_179-Edit.jpg

They emerged in my area last week. This one posed willingly for its close-up shot...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic, Rafael! Almost leather-like skin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Jain. I was using my newly bought Laowa 60mm f/2.8 2X Macro lens on my Nikon D850. I was about 2 or 3 inches from the cicada, but it did not seem to bother it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super shot and the Laowa proved a great bug out choice. The cicadas are obviously highly evolved and yearning for human interaction after their 17 year hibernation... or you have some incredible insect magnetism!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😁Judging by the color of its eyes, I think this one had been out all night partying and smoking weed. It was too tired to move away from me! 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My secret weapon for this sort of close in macro is the Lumiquest 3 mini softbox using one of those curly extension leads.  Exposure is eTTL so first time every time. This used F18, and because the softbox is close in it gives a nice diffused light.  Of course, this does mean that the background is dark  — this was taken in full daylight.  The creature is a Giant Weta and not even Crocodile  Dundee could eat one.

5481777704_5e9e9e679c_o.jpg

BTW I caught on to the Lumiquest III on David Hobby's Strobist site about 15 years ago

https://strobist.blogspot.com/2008/09/by-request-lumiquest-softbox-iii.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice idea Jane. You can keep the cicadas over there though - unless they go nicely in a curry 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fun times

Oy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Careful Chana or you'll take Ged's surreal crown off him 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my cOrly0.pnghildhood doll in it that I painted in Fresco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work Chana. 

I didn't realise elephants could be that small 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard a lobster diver was caught up in a humpback whale's mouth for a while before he was spit out. Was it in this location?

SFTW138StaithesHB.jpg
Whale image from Unsplash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would explain why the whale spat him out if it 'was' this location.  Yorkshire men taste horrible because of all that tripe, liver, kidneys and black pudding that they eat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not something I would find tasty either - not the Yorkshire men, their food choices 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm willing to try them if I ever travel to a place where they are aren't banned.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it was a quiet summer afternoon, but night swiftly fell bringing with it a terror of unknowing horror . . .

Triffid.jpg

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear , the triffids have reached Staithes! 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm late to this (per usual).  😛

"The Doom That Came to Staithes"

SFTW138StaithesWarUnicorn.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

two death-stars in the night sky?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's never too late for SFTW James.That blurring gives a very small depth of field which makes it look like a model. So the cat is real size  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines