• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, all of a sudden, two of my most used functions—holding down the space bar to move the image around and holding down CMD-space bar to zoom—just up and quit on me (I do like the "Scrubby" but it took a little getting used to. It's very touch screen-esque).

I did all of the normal trouble shooting such as deleting the prefs, relaunching, restarting, etc. Nothing. The functions work fine in the other CS5 programs.

Anybody else come across this? I checked through all of the prefs thinking that perhaps I accidentally changed something but I couldn't find anything. If all else fails, I'll do an uninstall/reinstall but only as a last resort.

I did notice that Adobe finally fixed the Distort (in Full Screen Mode) bug that was killing me in CS4.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
Participant ,
Dec 17, 2010 Dec 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Having the same issue as well. Quitting Firefox seemed to fix the issue, oddly enough. Running CS5 and Firefox 3.6.13

Hope the bug is fixed on whoever's end soon. But honestly, just glad to finally figure it out how to remedy, if only temporary.

Cheers,

matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 19, 2010 Dec 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced this today after upgrading to Snow Leopard (although I had noticed some inconsistencies with keyboard shortcut selection of tools prior).
I too deleted preferences - com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist - turned on and off prefs for spotlight, restarted system and Photoshop. 

I began quitting applications and the one that released the problem was Google Chrome. I could have release each tab one at a time to narrow it down but I suspect it was the BBC Radio stream -http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_one - that was causing the problem.

Other tabs open were Twitter, a quickbooks site and this page. 

I think Adobe have conceded or acknowledged that Flash or FlashPlayer may be involved, not necessarily the culprit, and are addressing it. 

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2011 Jan 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cmd-Space bar hand and zoom just stopped working for me in Acrobat 9 and InDesign CS5. Just wanted to report that simply quitting Chrome solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2011 Jan 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My spacebar was on and off, but after  I reinstalled after my old hard drive crashed, it seems fine. It might be due to bloat? But, this is one feature I've been using for years, and thank god it is still a feature and working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 28, 2011 Jan 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE FIX THIS NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT'S BEEN SEVEN BLOODY MONTHS since the original post, and this issue still exists!  I just upgraded from CS4, and am having this issue.  I'm running the trial of 12.0.2 on Mac OS 10.6.6 (blame FedEx for the trial - they don't know how to find my place), then did a full update 20 minutes ago and installed everything.  Ran another update - nothing left to install.

I will vouch for the Hulu issue.  It was open, I quit and problem went away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2011 Feb 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem but with Mac OS 10.5.8 on CS4 and the problem happens in Illustrator. Flash version 10,1,102,64. It may happen in Photoshop or InDesign, but not sure since I've got mad and went looking for a solution when Illustrator did it. A reboot was the only thing to make it work again even though I tried all the keyboard settings, quick key and even uninstalled an old Wacom tablet.

I agree with those who link it to FireFox (I'm on version 3.6.9) or Google or GMail. After quitting FireFox the space + command zoom and space bar hand tool and all space bar related quick keys came back. I relaunch FireFox and it worked for a while, but logging into my GMail account brings the problem back.

VERY frustrating. Especially since this thread is getting pretty old now. I wonder if anything will be done to fix it.

Message was edited by: mbrunw Note that the problem just appeared in InDesign too exactly the way it appears in Illustrator. It will likely show in Photoshop too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOOOOW! FIXED √

Hi there

I experienced the same issue right now, all of a sudden, "out of the blue", very annoying.

Experienced on AI & PS, CS5, on Mac Os 10.5.8. even after quitting cs5 and launching again.

The situation : working on a project, but also cleaning up my Mac (because i will quit my job tonite) = trashing stuff, disconnecting accounts, emptying caches, etc.

After reading this thread giving the guess that other apps may conflict with CS, i checked what was running background and other stuff till i fell upon… LASTFM. !!

-> a lastfm window (the mac os x app, the scrobbler stuff) was standing behind the other windows, waiting for i don't know what. The thing is that the window came after i disconnected my account. It seems the app launched a window waiting for another account connection. I did not notice it because i thought disconnecting was like quitting, and also because lastfm is a background app (for example, you don't see it when you type cmd+tab for app browsing…)

:-°     😕

So i quit everything of Lastfm, and cs5 came back to life !!

Consequently, mega-tip : check the background apps…

Hope this will help.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2011 May 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are experiencing this exact same error through most of our machines in our agency, OSX 10.4 to 10.6, PPC to Intel, with CS4 - PS, ID, AI,.... It comes every time out of the blue.

This thread is older than one year, come on Adobe, what´s that?

Please, I would like to hear some update on this issue.

I am so fed up with re-booting my machine every time I run into that bug - which means several times a day.

Would be more than glad to finally see a solution to this, not only a lame work-around like "please close <insert browser name>" - which is not working for me, as I have to work with CS4 and browsers on a daily basis. I am so NOT quitting ANY other application in CS4´s favour.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the original poster of this topic, I can finally say that this has been fixed for me. Not by Adobe though, but rather the fact that Hulu just plain sucks anymore. A year or two ago, it was the cat's meow but now it just seems to be nothing but "clips". So, I have stopped having the desktop Hulu app play in the background while I am working and as a result, I can move and zoom to my heart's content. Thanks Hulu!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 09, 2011 Jun 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL that's funny.

For the record I still get the problem once in awhile and I've never installed the HULU desktop app.

When it happens I have to quit and re-start photoshop but it doesn't happen very often and I believe it happens mostly when I have 10+ programs open while in the middle of development tasks and haven't gone through and closed out programs I am not using anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience and fix. We had new identical 27in iMacs and CS5 (ID, IA and PS) in the studio this year and my colleague had this issue every day, where as I didn't. He would have to restart his Mac up to 5 times a day to cure it once this "shortcut" bug hit across the CS, which, as you can imagine, got really frustrating. So, before he threw the thing out the window, we set about looking at when it happens and what I did differently on mine. Conclusion, Safari. When I'd been online for something I would quit Safari, where as he would leave it open. The next time the bug hit, he quit Safari and low and behold, shortcuts worked again. This fix now works EVERYTIME. He has not had to restart since. We don't use Firefox, HULU or anything else mentioned. The only other main software we use is Office Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can solve it by closing any program that uses adobe air. Hulu desktop, spotify, tweet deck etc. no browser issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use any of those programs, but it leads me to wonder if I shouldn't just uninstall Adobe Air?

Chris Cox, what say you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try it.  It is possible that AIR or Flash has a bug that is causing this behavior (but that doesn't seem to show up for everyone).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the bug is back again (some time after deleting the preferences).

Can anybody please clearify?

Exactly what ist Hulu? What application uses Hulu? Asking Google, the first result is some video platform on the internet, which I cannot access from Europe. Is it some sort of proprietary video-codec? How would that affect my work?

I don´t work knowingly with Adobe Air - well, at least I don´t start manually any application called Adobe Air, and I do not work with Bridge or Dreamweaver at all. I don´t work with Flash on a regular basis (and there is no coherence with that bug). Does Hulu pop up automatically when I work with PS or ID or AI? Does it come to life when I work with any browser (or for that matter: browser plug in, like flash player?)? How can I avoid running into this bug again?

I´m still on CS 4, so the cocoa vs. carbon argument may not work.

Is it really "the browser"? Because, I cannot exclude "Hulu", as I do not know what it is, or how to get rid of it. As much as I´d love to.

PS While researching "Hulu" online... guess what? Safari crashed, caused by Flash Player Plug in. Haha. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help the troubleshooting process at all, but I've been having this same problem. For me, the space bar / move and option / copy shirtcuts fail after I open Google Chrome, log into Gmail, THEN "switch to log in to another gmail account" (my Google Apps email account for my business). Not sure if a strange script is being used in Gmail to make that transition, but it seems to interact with CS4 somehow.

Hoping for a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Discussion moved to the enduring forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2013 Dec 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just saw this issue popping up on a Mavericks system with CS5. Quitting Safari solved the problem this time.

Safari 7.0

Flash Player 11.9.900.152

Ernst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 27, 2014 Apr 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8

Go to  Metro UI> Settings > PC and Devices > Trackpad > Touchpad - 

• Deactivate the Touchpad Delay.

Also:

I used a different wireless mouse which worked fine. The issue is possibly related to Mouse/Touch problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2014 Apr 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that my spacebar was somehow staying depressed when I was using it in PS.  After a lot of pain going back and forth with calling Adobe someone suggested this and what do you know, if I jab my space bar a couple of times it releases and PS is back to working again.  I don't know why this doesn't happen on any other software, but am pretty happy to have a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

figured out my issue as I was having the same thing of not being able to use my zoom with space and command as normal.

the program that "Stole" the keyboard shortcut was the App "Things" go into preferences and you can see it tries to use the same shortcuts.

I disabled the keyboard shortcut then had to restart my whole machine before Photoshop and the other Adobe apps went back to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2015 Jun 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem here in Photoshop CC 2015. In my second monitor I had Inbox (a Gmail variant) opened in a Chrome tab. I closed it and the space shortcut came back to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2015 Jul 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens randomly to me in OSX, regardless of what apps I have running.  restarting the system always fixes it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2015 Sep 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all the suggested fixes including disabling the OS key combos. I recently upgraded to Yosemite and have done any updates that may have been available. I have also updated all my Adobe CC software. I use a MacBook Pro circa 2009 with 8gb memory. I still cannot use the spacebar in conjunction with either the command key or command/option to  zoom in or out

respectively (in conjunction with the mouse) NOR can I use the spacebar in conjunction with the mouse to pan. This is a recent problem and hinders my workflow. Can anyone help, please???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our entire design dept is having this problem right now (OS 10.10.5/CC 2015) with PS and AI. If history is any indication, Adobe apparently doesn't care much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines