• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

standard profiles missing in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Jul 05, 2021 Jul 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2021 in a Creative Cloud bundle on a recent iMac (catalina). Earlier this year I had a new hard drive installed and it appeared my Time Machine backup drive was faulty, so that after re-installing everything there were files missing all over the place, such as presets. I cannot now recover these anymore from backups.

Photoshop was installed anew, so I assumed *everything* would be there. But I recently found it lacks the standard ICC profiles (Fogra, US Web...) and when I save to PDF the presets and their description  seem incomplete. I have looked for these profiles and presets in all the library and settings etc folders and searched the computer but they are nowhere to be found.

I have also been searching the web and Adobe Help to discover which these standard profiles and presets are, but cannot find a list anywhere nor an instruction to download or re-install them. I only found one or two individual ICC profiles on the sites of the organizations that published them.

NB this does not concern the custom-profiles or profiles for my printers, for which I downloaded the drivers, so I can print alright. But I cannot properly export files to be printed elsewhere, with commercial printers for instance.

Is there a way to get Photoshop CC to re-install these default files?

Thanks for your suggestions, Yola

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything in the Folder ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended? 

Are there multiple user accounts on the computer? 

Have you used the Cleaner Tool before re-installing?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that folder wasn't even there, I noticed yesterday  (I've now created it for two profiles I picked up somewhere on the web).

I am the only user on this computer; there isn't anything in the system files nor in the user files

And no, I did not use a cleaner tool, I have a subscription for Creative Cloud apps and I  re-installed the apps from the cloud on a brand-new hard disk. So there would have been no reason to use a cleaning tool.

It wasn't a matter of uninstalling and re-installing. As I remember it, I had the hard disk replaced and then first used Time Machine to, as it were, recreate my computer. When this process had finished, a lot was still missing and I realized I would have to install several apps anew, from the cloud, so that is what I did. Then I discovered there were still a lot of files missing (not just PS but from all over the place) -preferences, settings, things that should have been restored from the (faulty, it appeared) Time Machine disk. I still could use the  TM disk to restore these things manually, which I did as best I could, but of course I missed some because I did not realize at the time they weren't there (I lost all my custom LR printing presets too, as I found out months later when I wanted to make some prints).

I don't understand why the files I miss were not installed anew from the cloud as they are included in PS. It doesn't seem to me to be something outside the standard program (like plugins). So perhaps they fact that they are now missing has nothing to do with the disk replacement.

I would expect standard elements of PS to be downloadable or retrievable somehow for those with a license, but I cannot find anywhere how Creative Cloud profiles and apps on my computer ar elinked (so that I can check what is there and what isn't and what should be there). It seems one has very little control over what ends up on your computer, or is there something I don't understand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I don't understand why the files I miss were not installed anew from the cloud as they are included in PS.«

But you 

»first used Time Machine to, as it were, recreate my computer.«

so I guess you may have inadvertently (re-)created Folders that hindered the following installations. 

So my recommendation is still: uninstall, Cleaner Tool, re-install. (Naturally after backing up all customized presets.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your quick response and your advice. I understand what you say about what may have happened. I also understand your recommendation.

What I do not understand: why doesn't Adobe allow me to download individual folders/files that are included with Photoshop? If I inadvertently delete a folder, it would mean I have to go through a complete uninstall-clean-install procedure, while I could just have replaced the one folder.

I understand that would not work in all cases but it would work with profiles and presets etc. I can download presets for brushes e.g. so why not profiles?

I also do not understand why on a new install a folder that is missing would not be created (in this case the ...profiles/recommended folder). [I have thought of deleting the whole 'Profiles' folder, so that PS would recreate that of its own accord -as often happens with preferences etc- but apparently that would not work then.]

I will have to think what to do, as in my case I guess it is more trouble to determine which custom files and presets etc to save, to locate them (as they can be in various places) and go through this uninstall-clean-install procedure, than to try and find presets/profiles on the web if and when I need them. And as a photographer I primarily use LR.

PS keeps baffling me  - it's amazing what it can do, but it has too many options, too many possibilities, for me to move comfortably through all the menus and files and preferences.

Thank you for your help. It saves me a lot of time and frustration looking for solutions there aren't there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines