• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stroke a Path. Simple, right. Naaaaa.

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2021 Jul 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add a stroke to a path. According to the tutorial, I should be able to select the little round circle at the bottom of the path panel, and the selected path with be stroked with the selected brush.

This isn't working.  I get a circle/line symbol when I hover over the little round circle, and can't apply a stroke. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Ross

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots (https://www.take-a-screenshot.org) with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Paths, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Is one paintable Layer selected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are one or two gotyas regarding that process.  The most obvious being that you have to have a raster selected, and the current forground colour needs to differ from the document background colour so you can actually see the stroke.  You might need to check brush and layer blend modes if things do not seem to be working as they should.

The second is that hitting the stroke icon at the bottom of the Paths panel will trigger tha last tool that was used to stroke a path, so if you are not sure, make the first stroke by right clicking the path, choose stroke, and if it does not say Brush use the drop down to select the brush.  You can safely use the icon after that.

image.png

Simulate Pressure will make the stroke as if drawn with a tablet and stylus using a Pressure affects size preset.  I use this a lot as it enables accurate brush stroke placement.

image.png

Another wee gotya is that if you have multiple paths on the same path and bo points are active, then stroking will cause all of the path components to be stroked.  If you have active points on one or more components (like below) thhen just that component will be stroked.

image.png

If you already knew most of this stuff them my apologies. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, the best series of tutorials on the Pen tool is by Mike Hoffman who sometimes posts to this forum.  There five in all, with the other four linked from the video below

(28) Pen Tool in Photoshop - 01 - Path Fundamentals - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha.  Thanks!

The problem was that I didn't realize I had to have a layer as well as a path selected.  Makes sense, in retrospect.  This system seems pretty clunky.  Seems like you should be able to change the stroke of the path in the brush panel.  But that doesn't seem to be the case.  If the brush isn't right going in, you have to start over, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you talking about – Shape Layer Stroke?

Those have nothing to do with Brushes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Maybe you do not actually want to work with Photoshop but with Illustrator – Illustrator offers Art Brushes, Pattern Brushes, Scatter Brushes, … and those maintain editability as they are vector data, not just pixels. 

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 08.09.55.pngScreenshot 2021-07-13 at 08.10.16.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the issue if I select a Layer on which one cannot paint (see screenshot). 

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 10.18.56.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines