Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

SVGs not exporting properly from Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can't get my head around why the vector files I'm trying to create and export from Photoshop are both losing resolution whilst upscaling when placed back into Photoshop, and are also not able to be imported into DaVinci Resolve Fusion. I created a vector mask of my logo with paths, right clicked on the layer, chose Export As... SVG, Bicubic Automatic, No Copyright Info. The file is turned into a smart object upon being placed inside Photoshop , which I think is meant to happen, but it doesn't seem to function as an SVG should e.g. the quality loss on upscaling. SVG files I have downloaded from the internet do not behave like this - they keep their quality no matter the scaling. I even tried creating and exporting a shape instead of a vector mask, to no avail.

In the attached screenshot, you can see the blurry upscaled SVG along with the original vector mask in the bottom right corner.

I'm not sure if anyone has experience with DaVinci Resolve, but when I import an SVG file downloaded from the internet, an Image Size dialog pops up and it is able to be placed inside the project. However when I import an SVG file which I created in Photoshop, nothing happens. No error message, just nothing.

It is the same for all SVG files I have created in Photoshop, so I really don't understand why this is happening. I would be really grateful if someone could help me solve this, or point out something obvious that I'm missing.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long and short: Wrong tool. PS is pixel based, after all. If you really need flexible resolution, you need to move on to illustrator and create your artwork there.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So is it actually not possible to export an SVG that actually functions as an SVG in Photoshop? I've seen YouTube tutorials and when they do it and then rescale afterwards it works fine, I do the same thing and it doesn't. I can't exactly stretch from the £8 a month Photography plan to £49 just to add Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines