• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Keeps Disappearing When I Change Font SIze

Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am very new to Photoshop (I got it 3 days ago). I am enjoying it, but I have run into a problem. 

Every time I try to increase the size of text within a text box, the text disappears. I have to widen the text box and make it much larger in order for me to see my text. 

How do I get this to stop happening? Is there a way to make the text box increase in size in proportion to increase in text size? 

Thank you so much for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

It sounds like you may have clicked and dragged to make paragraph type. When the size of the type (or the amount of it) is too large for the text box as drawn, then you get overset type which gets hidden. Instead of clicking and dragging to make the text box, try clicking to make point type. It will adjust as you scale your text, but it doesn't wrap around to the next line. You can also convert paragraph (area) type to point type by going to Type > Convert to Point Text. Here's more info about t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

@sui347 , the text tool in Photoshop does take some getting used to. Here is an article that covers lots of details. I'll give you my meager tips, in case it helps.

There are two text 'modes' available that are distinct; "point" text and "paragraph" text (ignoring text on a path).

1. Point Text: if you click the T tool (text tool) and click onto the canvas, then start typing, the text takes on the characteristics of 'point text'. It will keep going on and on beyond the edge of the canvas unl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you may have clicked and dragged to make paragraph type. When the size of the type (or the amount of it) is too large for the text box as drawn, then you get overset type which gets hidden. Instead of clicking and dragging to make the text box, try clicking to make point type. It will adjust as you scale your text, but it doesn't wrap around to the next line. You can also convert paragraph (area) type to point type by going to Type > Convert to Point Text. Here's more info about type in Photoshop:

Create type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, this is exactly what happened! I appreciate your response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sui347 , the text tool in Photoshop does take some getting used to. Here is an article that covers lots of details. I'll give you my meager tips, in case it helps.

There are two text 'modes' available that are distinct; "point" text and "paragraph" text (ignoring text on a path).

1. Point Text: if you click the T tool (text tool) and click onto the canvas, then start typing, the text takes on the characteristics of 'point text'. It will keep going on and on beyond the edge of the canvas unless you insert a paragraph return. There is no text box limitation to 'point' text, as it will not clip within the bounds of any rectangle, like paragraph text does (see below). So point text should not disappear, like what you described above.

2. Paragraph text: with the Text tool, drag a rectangle on the canvas before you start typing (as opposed to just clicking once on the canvas); now the text you type will be forced to fit within the text rectangle that you drew, including hyphenation and line endings. And you can resize two different ways: Double click on the text and you can change the dimensions of the paragraph box, but the type stays the same size; you only scale the box, not the text. Alternatively, you can use the Transform command to scale the text so that it resizes along with the size of the paragraph text box; this will make the text larger or smaller, depending on if you make the paragraph text larger or smaller.

Experiment with these two text modes and decide whether Point text might be the right editing mode for you; I believe with that mode, you shouldn't have disappearing text, but with Paragraph text + the double click approach, the text will scale along with the text box itself, which I think also could be what you want.

Hope those tips help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your answer and thank you for your detailed explanation. When I used Point Mode, the text didn't disappear. I will definitely refer to your answer quite a bit as I continue to learn Photoshop! Thanks again, this has saved me from a lot of editing problems in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not disappear, its a bug that changes scale texts to 0 pt. I also tried to enter the pt scale manually and same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Having this exact issue. I tried the above suggestion but it was already set to Point text. Also tried switching to Paragraph text and still goes to 0pts after I go past a certain size. I can scale the text manually, but if I go one point up in size via the "Set Font Size" field rather than scaling manually, it reverts to 0 again. 
I've also noticed that this only occurs when the project is 72dpi. All is fine at 150dpi (font size goes up to 1900pt+) and 300dpi (font size goes up to 3000pt+). It never reverts to 0pt at resolutions above 72dpi... Definitely frustrating and inefficient... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines