• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

This new "Save a copy" instead of "Save as" breaks the workflow. I thought it was a BUG

New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the people who develop Photoshop actually... use it?
Changing the Ctrl+Shift+S ability to only allow to save as a PSD is the WORST "feature" Ive seen implemented in a long time. There is now an extra step to save a file in the format I want. Please, I beg you, reverse this. 
I spent an hour uninstalling photoshop and searching the web on how to fix this "bug" to find out its a lovely new "feautre" no one asked for.
I already have to deal with forced updates and failed updates interrupting my work day and costing me time, --- dont interrupt fundemental workflows by "fixing" something that wasnt broken.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Alt+Ctrl+S takes longer?

The problem is that the Save process was very broken on Macs due to changes in the operating system. Just look at the complaints in this forum on that issue. Adobe had to change. Changing the MAC version only would have meant big problems for anyone using both or developing actions for both. So the change was made on both.

It actually makes a lot of sense now. If the File format can support all the contents of your document - Save As. If the File format does not support

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is primarily a user Forum yo cou are not actually addressing Adobe here. 

Ā»I already have to deal with forced updatesĀ«

Did you enable Auto Updates? 

Ā»here is now an extra step to save a file in the format I want.Ā«

Using Edit > Save a Copy (cmd-alt-S) instead of Edit > Save As (cmd-shift-S) does not seem like an additional step to me. 

Ā»a lovely new "feautre" no one asked for.Ā«

Have you read the many complaints by people who had destroyed their layered files by not paying attention when trying to save pdfs off of layered images? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt+Ctrl+S takes longer?

The problem is that the Save process was very broken on Macs due to changes in the operating system. Just look at the complaints in this forum on that issue. Adobe had to change. Changing the MAC version only would have meant big problems for anyone using both or developing actions for both. So the change was made on both.

It actually makes a lot of sense now. If the File format can support all the contents of your document - Save As. If the File format does not support all the content and you will lose some, Save a Copy.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Ā» copyĀ« thatā€™s added to the name admittedly seems to make a difference. 

But I hope this is ultimately one of the changes that may elicit strong emotions initially but people get used to fairly quickly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Could someone  please explain why they decided to put the JPG save in Ctrl-Alt-S and JIF (JPG2000) in Shift-Ctrl-S??? Who the **** uses JPG2000?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple, jpeg only supports 8 bit, background layer only, no transparency or hidden pixels. But jpeg 2000 supports 16 bit and transparency. Since 22.4, if the file format supports the content of your document then it appears in Save As, if it does not then it appears in Save a Copy

Note : In 22.4.2 two new options were added to Preferences > File Handling.
The first allows you to revert to the legacy Save As workflow and the second to optionally omit the word "copy" from the filename when using Save a Copy

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines