• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tiled printing of image larger than paper size

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 40cm x 50cm image I wanted to print over multiple US Letter sized pages.  From what I find online, photoshop used to have options "tile full pages" and "tile imageable areas" in the print settings, but I don't see them in my latest version of photoshop.  Apparently you can only print this way from Acrobat now?  I have a Mac if that makes a difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think not so much about size to begin with.  Think first about what you want to do and the two aspect ratios involved.  You want to cut up a 4:5 aspect ration image into tiles that have an 17:22 aspect ratio. Now do the math.   Or have Photoshop lay out the guide line for you.image.png

or is it

image.png

The tiles must have an 8.5:11 aspect ratio.  The thing is the math may not work out nicely to print bordless 8.5" x 11" tiles.

A simple script I posted a few days ago with the action I posted will automate the tiling process.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it is an Aspect Ratio problem. 5:4 = 1.25 aspect  and 11:8.5 is a 1.29 there not the far apart.  Your best solution would be to add a little canvas to you image so that it has a US letter aspect ratio.   You image would the correct aspect ratio to  be tiled for US letter aspect ratio tiles.   You image would be 40 cm by 56 cm.  That  will have a small white 6 cm boarder on the bottom of the image.  You could easily trim off  the bottom set of image tiles.   A 5 x would be 200 cm by 280 cm you would trim 30 cm off the bottom tile so the image tiled would be 200cm by 250cm to haver you imags 4:5 aspect ratio.  Five sheets of letter paper would be 42.5" by 55" you would  trime some number of bottom inches off.

image.png

There would be 25 Print files from layers for the 25 sheets of paper for the 108 cm by 135 cm tiled print

image.png

Sizing is by number of sheets of paper printed.

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The big question here is... Why would Adobe take this feature away?   I used it for tiling references for my painting to size.  Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As fas as I kown the may not have been removed.  I do no install AI I jane been using Photosho for areunt 28  years and never saw those options in Photoshop but the I nevet used Adobe Print PostScript output.  Never has access toe a Postscript device. Using Google I see this  though it shows Photoshop when  I view the image  I see AI,  Adobe does remove feature in some releases so there are some compatibility issuse 

image.pngimage.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - Yes, printing a tiled photoshop image used to be easy. Why would Adobe remove something simple and make it difficult. Put tiling back in Adobe photoshop printing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - Yes, printing a tiled photoshop image used to be easy. Why would Adobe remove something simple and make it difficult. Put tiling back in Adobe photoshop printing!

By @elirow

As more than one of us has already said in this thread, tiling was not previously a feature in Photoshop, and that means it was never removed because it wasn’t there in the first place. It’s likely that people are thinking of the print tiling feature in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Acrobat, and so are thinking Photoshop had it, when it never has.

But, there’s nothing wrong with asking Adobe to add print tiling to Photoshop. Feature requests can be sent in the Ideas section of this community, where people can vote up and discuss them, and Adobe can assign a publicly visible development status if they start working on it. There might already be a print tiling request in there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2024 Feb 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I beg to differ. I’ve been a designer for over 40 years. I could easily print from Photoshop selecting tiled printing. I could control the overlap too.
This was in the print feature of Photoshop.

Thank you,
Lizzie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnk64999054 wrote:

From what I find online, photoshop used to have options "tile full pages" and "tile imageable areas" in the print settings

I’m interested in seeing one of those online references, because I am not sure those options were ever in Photoshop. Those terms are definitely in the Print dialog box for Adobe Illustrator. However, it would be a nice feature request for Photoshop.

@johnk64999054 wrote:

Apparently you can only print this way from Acrobat now?

Acrobat is one option. And it’s fast and simple. All you have to do is drag the image and drop it on the Acrobat application icon, and it opens the image. Then you just choose File > Print, click the Poster button, and tiling options appear. You could be printing in seconds (if the correct printer and paper size are already selected).

Acrobat-print-tile.jpg

Another option is Adobe InDesign. It takes a little more time because you have to create a document first. But after that, you simply drop the image on the page, choose File > Print, and click Setup to see the Tile options.

Either way it is really no big deal, and beacuse both have automatic tiling, both are a lot easier and faster than spending the time to set it up manually in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines