• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transform Tool unwelcome changes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since the Transform Tool was modified one of the changes that made no sense to me was the restriction of the rotation controls to a narrow margin outside the transform box. Prior to the update when the cursor was anywhere outside the transform box the rotation controls were available. Why restrict the control area to a narrow zone around the box? It doesn't help.

Here is another unwelcome change. If I activate the transform command while in the standard screen mode (floating window) then decide to switch to Full Screen Mode (F) to get some extra room to maneuver, PS will apply my transform at it's current state. So now I need to remember to switch the Screen Mode first, then make my transform. Again, not helpful.

These are not bugs or major problems for that matter, just unwanted changes that make productivity less efficient.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

You may share your valuable feedback here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/ This forum is directly monitored by our developers and they might look into it for future updates.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start draging with your cursor close to the corner, and then move the cursor as far out as you need to give you the control you need.  You can go waaaaaay outside the document window if you do this.

image.png

I don't know if this is going to help with the second part of your question, (reading it again, I'm thinking that it won't) but  trick Julianne Kost explained in one of her videos is that if you invoke Free Transform and the bounding box and handles are off screen, you can use the 'fit to screen' Ctrl 0 shortcut to zoom back and bring the bounding box back into view.

I'm actually not able to reproduce your 'switching screen modes closes Free Transform because once I have a Free Transform bounding box, the F shortcut does nothing.  Same thing with trying to switch screen modes via the tool bar icon.  I just get a error chime and nothing happens.  This might be OS specific, (I am using Windows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Trevor. Now I see how you were able to extend the outer range of control for rotation control. I will use that as my go to for future transforms. What I was failing to do was initiate the rotation first. You'll see that if you don't click to initiate the rotation. What happens is your cursor changes from the rotation arrow back to the pointer as you move away from the transform box.

I did learn something interesting while testing your method that you may find interesting too. No matter what zoom scale you're viewing your image there is a fixed 1.75" margin around your transform box where the cursor rotate arrow is active. Outside of that margin the cursor changes back to the pointer. This assumes you have not clicked to initiate your rotation yet. So if you zoom way down to say 5% your rotation arrow is active much futher away from the center of the transform object. Of course, the further down you zoom the less precise your rotation will be because it's too tiny to see. Still, it's an interesting fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wasn't as precise as I should have been regarding my explaination of the Screen Mode switching while an active tranform was underway. I too got the same response you did when pressing F which was basically no response at all. What I failed to descibe correctly is I was actually clicking on the lower right corner of the floating window to expand the window size while an active transform was underway. By clicking the window corner I basically teminated to transform command.

If my memory serves me correctly, in previous versions I recall being able to switch Screen Modes freely while a transform was underway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines