Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Save my Smart Object without "Flattening the Image"

New Here ,
Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I am helpless.

I am Using Photoshop CC 2014, always the newest version, on a mac.

Here's the problem: I am usually working in PSDs with many layers, and some smart objects. Inside of the smart objects, I have content that I can change.

So when I save the contents inside of a Smart Object, it also changes them inside of the main PSD.

BUT - since months, I can't save the changes inside of a Smart Object. Photoshop is telling me:

Can't save this document back to its original file format. Flatten layers and discard extra data as necessary and choose File > Save again.

When I flatten the image, the Smart Object has no usage for me, because it's like a rasterized layer.

Someone help me?  I didn't find a solution in the internet!

Btw: I already tried reinstalling Photoshop. The issue is still there.

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 14, 2014 Oct 14, 2014

Did you create the SO by placing an image in a format that does not support Layers (like jpg or example)?

If so I’m afraid you may have to save the layered file as psd, psb or tif, then replace the Smart Object in the containing document (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the SO by placing an image in a format that does not support Layers (like jpg or example)?

If so I’m afraid you may have to save the layered file as psd, psb or tif, then replace the Smart Object in the containing document (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my. Problem solved. And I thought I was a pro!
Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome.

And not to worry, I think Photoshop is by now (edit: and has been for a while) complex enough that even professional users may not know all it’s functions and intricacies inside out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what u are taking about photo place already in smart object in photoshop and u say it again make the smart object?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean?

I recommended saving the layered file and replacing the Smart Object with it (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents) if a file in a format that cannot contain Layers has been placed as a Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you explain please

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Save the layered file as a new file with layer compatibility (psd, psb, tif)

• then replace the Smart Object with it (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you! You just saved me a ton of time figuring this out 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks man

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally! Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are genious. Save my life :)) Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you a lot! Just fixed this super important mockup. ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2023 Apr 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! I just started learning photoshop and this helped a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is not the case please read this with regard to general trouble-shooting, restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be of special interest:

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.h...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A FASTER WAY TO SOLVE THIS ISSUE:

In Layers, right click on the photo you placed and select "convert to smart object." This automatically converts it to a .psb file, and you don't have to go through the process of replacing the Smart Object in the containing document (Layer > Smart Objects > Replace Contents). 

This saves so much time, especially when working with a ton of photos in one photoshop document!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if there are multiple instances of the SO? 

Or if it has already been transformed, warped, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can create a  'New Smart Object via Copy' to edit the smart object independently without affecting its parent or other instances.

This can be done by right-clicking on the layer or via the menu Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object via Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can rasterize layer and after that convert it to smart object and it fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This here is what I needed.  for so many years, I have been used to right click and convert to smart object.
but then suddenly a new version make every photo converted to smartobject.

but then again, it is not a smartobject but a dumb object and needed to save it to .psb 
so now it seems like I can accept the fact that photoshop is just protecting the resolution of every single photo you drag in it.   (they should not call it smartobject to begin with.)

because it just confused us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@keruchan wrote:

This here is what I needed.  for so many years, I have been used to right click and convert to smart object.
but then suddenly a new version make every photo converted to smartobject.

but then again, it is not a smartobject but a dumb object and needed to save it to .psb 
so now it seems like I can accept the fact that photoshop is just protecting the resolution of every single photo you drag in it.   (they should not call it smartobject to begin with.)

because it just confused us. 

I disagree strongly. 

What is the Photoshop > Preferences > General > Always Create Smart Objects when Placing setting? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but that smartobject is "not smart object" since you still need tp
convert it to smart object to save it as psb.

That's why it is confusing. They should. name it dumb object on the
preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just should not place images as Smart Objects in a file format that does not support Layers if you want to add Layers to them subsequently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2023 Aug 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines