Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Photoshop in commercial

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm making a short commercial for my product (I'm a photographer and I'm selling pictures). In the commercial (which will mostly be used on web), I would like to make a screen-capture of me using Photoshop. But, do I need any special permission from Adobe to use this in my spot? Sorry if this is not the right place to ask about this.

Kind regards

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user support forum. To ask your question of Adobe, you should go here and comment after selecting the appropriate product (in this case Photoshop):
https://feedback.photoshop.com/categories/products/5f5f2090785c1f1e6cc40864

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh, yes. Thank you, I will go there at once 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s a really good question. If you were making a tutorial (for educational or editorial use) showing you using any proprietary software, that’s allowed without getting permission. People do it all the time with YouTube instructional videos, obviously. But considering your end product will be used commercially—you are selling services and incorporating software from your tool-kit into the promotion—one could argue that you need get permission or pay a licensing fee. For example, if you created an advertisement for your services and showed the Adobe Photoshop logo in the ad, would you need their permission? If you were wearing a T-shirt with the Adobe logo in the ad, would you need permission? Probably. Have you read the trademark guidelines here? https://www.adobe.com/legal/permissions/trademarks.html. Let us know what you find out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is tricky. I have read the guidelines, and I actually could do it without showing the logo, but still, I am using the program (Photoshop).

I will let you know if I find out what is right 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might depend on the extent and context that PS appears in your commercial, too. I think they are most concerned that you are not implying that you are affiliated with the company or speaking on their behalf. I mean, would you need permission from Nikon or Westcott strobes to show you using their products in your ad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made dozens of video's tutorials showing off Photoshop. Most free, a few commercial without any issue. The difference may be, IF I'm reading your original post correctly is, this would be a commercial for you with PS in that commercial so that could be different than simply providing content to 'teach' or promote Photoshop itself. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, exactly. It will only show for about 10 sec. Showing me putting color to a black and white image. So it's about the process. But I just need to be sure, so I wont be put in jail for life! 🙂

I have posted in Adobe Photoshop family forum, but there are currently no replies yet. Will let you know.

Daniel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I got this reply from Adobe Photoshop Family forum

"As long as you're not representing yourself as an Adobe employee I don't see any issues with using a PS screenshot in your commercial."

It seems that it's okay, but ofcourse it's not a direct permission. So I will try to get in contact with Adobe.

Daniel

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/using-photoshop-in-commercial/60ad47dcc6605c6...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s great! Now I want to see your commercial!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will send you a link when it's online 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines