• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

vector paths don't render correctly in photoshop 3D

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a way to keep rendered paths true to the original shape. If I render layers based on extruded paths, the rendering is often distorted. You can see the distortion most often near corners or intersections, but also on straight and curved segments (see image area of the letter k and the line beneath it which should be a clean shape). How can this be fixed? The problem is most apparent when I use outlined fonts as opposed to extruding from a live text layer, but the distortion happens on just about any vector based art such as logos, etc. I've tried extruding from smart objects, object layers with uneven results. Is there a way to make rendering more predictable when using paths?

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017.0.1 on a Power book with Retina display, 16mgs Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT if that info helps.

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 8.33.05 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Now that I can see the screenshots - I see your problem is coming from the use of a smart object - which effectively makes it a pixel based image and the extrusion is no longer based on the vectors - but on Photoshop creating the vector from the rasterised layer - which includes anti aliased edges.

Below is the top corner of a simple text letter K .

1. Extruded from the text layer

2. Converted to a shape layer and extruded

3. Put into a smart object and extruded.

The third method (the smart object) s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have not seen a problem with that, but looking at the image you have posted it looks like the edge of the K is a smooth shape but the red diffuse texture is not covering the whole of the front UV - allowing some gray to show. The initial cause of that could be that the path is just outside the red area when traced.

It should be simple to fix by editing the texture.

For example :

If there are any gaps - brush them in. If all the front texture is the same colour then just select the whole square texture and fill it with the required colour.

Can you go to Front Inflation Material - Properties - Edit Texture and take a screenshot.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok. Here are a few steps I've done that I hope help to solve this.

I did as you suggested: go to Front Inflation Material - Properties - Edit Texture and take a screenshot.

Here's what that looked like:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 9.12.30 PM.png

The red area is the true shape, as you can see in the next image. The shape is a smart object that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 9.13.01 PM.png

So if I fill the area with red, as in your screen shot, I have to rasterize the smart object:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 9.15.34 PM.png

then fill the paintable area with red:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 9.15.51 PM.png

This is the result:

Screen Shot 2017-02-16 at 9.19.00 PM.png

Same problem.

How is the UV overlay generated? It seems to be a rough trace of the Smart Object or path. The final rendering seems to be based on the UV overlay and not the Smart Object. Can I replace the UV overlay with the more accurate Smart Object?

Is there a way to adjust or tighten the trace of the Smart Object through a preferences setting?

I can't seem to find anything about this in searches. I've had the problem show up on different computers and several earlier versions of the Photoshop. There is a lot of nice work being done in Photoshop 3D, so I know that there is a fix for this or I'm just doing something wrong. UHG!

Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that I can see the screenshots - I see your problem is coming from the use of a smart object - which effectively makes it a pixel based image and the extrusion is no longer based on the vectors - but on Photoshop creating the vector from the rasterised layer - which includes anti aliased edges.

Below is the top corner of a simple text letter K .

1. Extruded from the text layer

2. Converted to a shape layer and extruded

3. Put into a smart object and extruded.

The third method (the smart object) shows the issue you describe.

To keep it crisp - use the vectors (i.e. paths and shapes) to create your extrusion, rather than relying on Photoshop to create an edge from an aliased pixel layer (which is what the smart object presents).

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for time and attention to this Dave.

I'll tinker with this some more and keep that in mind for future 3D builds. Maybe this would be something to have Adobe developers work on for a future upgrade. 

Thanks again,

Richard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....... Maybe this would be something to have Adobe developers work on for a future upgrade. 

Thanks again,

Richard

Now if only I could control what Adobe do ......

You see a similar thing when you make a path from a selection. Sometimes it doesn't quite get it right.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So when we are importing vector files (logos or such) from Illustrator, we would always this kind of issue?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem, which is how I came across this post. 

So rather than a smart object I pasted as a path. Of the 10 or so letters I pasted only 2 would extrude, the others just disappeared.

Long story short I found the font had I outlined was all made of open paths, the ones that worked were ones I had edited myself. Once the palths were closed it extrudes perfectly.

In Illustrator have the Document Info palette open, and select objects to see if you have any open paths. Then it's a tedious serch for the open points. Move each point with the direct selection tool, if it's joined Undo and move to the next.

darrenl55038786_0-1612342287291.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines