Exit

Video file not opening in Photoshop 2020

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, since updating to Photoshop 2020, I can't open a video file 😕

Getting an error messsage: 

Could not open “filename.mp4” because the video file could not be opened.

Getting on my nerves a little bit, updated to the lastest version, I am on Catalina 🙂 I have tried a few different other video files, same errror and can't seem to find a fix 😕

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

New Here , Oct 04, 2021 Oct 04, 2021

This happened to me. Restarting my Mac worked

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged , Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Solved!

Amazing that this was the problem. I had installed the Insta 360 software a few years ago, and have never even used PS to edit those files. Unreal, I'm honestly going to reach out to Insta to let them know about this issue.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Alright, 2 years have passed, but looks like updating my Mac to Monterey & Photoshop to Photoshop 2022 seems to have the glitch fixed 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 110 Replies 110
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To fix this issue which only seems to be an issue for Mac users. 

1. Click settings.

2. click security and privacy 

3. scroll to full disk access 

4. click the plus sign ( you have to click the lock in the bottom left corner to allow changes) 

5. after clicking the plus sign a new window will open, click applications in the left sidebar

6. Find photoshop and click it, then click it again and hit open to add it to your list. 

Do the same for Lightroom and then close and restart and reopen photoshop and try opening a video and it should work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar issue with video going into a non-Adobe product and followed these same steps in the updated Apple OS and it resolved the issue for me for that app as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no luck 😕 it says 

"Could not place “videofilename. mp4 ” because the video file could not be opened." 

Been looking for hours for a solution, I hate when updates mess things up I might have to call support. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to make a YouTube video and post the link. If you followed all the steps it should be working. I tried the fix someone posted earlier in the thread but until I alllwed permission under all of their suggestions and the full disk access it kept saying I couldn't open a video. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will take anything that might help, thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://youtu.be/7F3WQY0yWw8

Here is a YouTube video of my screen record. If you add permission under files and folders, accessibility, AND full disk access and it still doesn't allow photoshop to open videos after restarting then I'm not sure what to suggest. 

I tried the previous fix that Adobe posted about just adding permission under the accessibility tab whenever I first posted in this thread and that fix didn't work. It wasn't until I just allowed permission under the three I mentioned that it let me start opening and editing videos. It is very frustrating, hopefully this helps some people at least with the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION:

Hi everyone.  I am brand new to Photoshop and brand new to this forum.  I stumbled on this thread because I too desired to capture a still image from video using photoshop and encountered the same error message that started this thread. I am happy to report I have successfully opened video files and captured the images I seeked.  It might have actually helped I'm brand new to this because experienced users might have blown right past the step I discovered.

Disclaimer:  This is only working on video files encoded with the H.264 codec, not the H.265 HEVC codec. Of course warnings abound with the H.265 codec cautioning folks that it may not be compatible with all applications and playback devices, especially older ones.  I suppose I can't blame photoshop too much for the incompatibilty here since it hasn't been built from the ground up to be a video player.  But if you still want to blame them, that's fine too, LOL!  Ok enough blather, here we go:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These notes are taken from this youtube video produced by Adobe Product Manager Bryan O’Neil Hughes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZup--tpyzk&list=PL097JQj2RAe8hFjYQDmMsOzUmLD97yBsr&index=4

1. Ignore his opening  statement, as you all know, you can’t just open a video file in PS due to a supposed bug in PS 2021.  
  2. To open a video file, when starting PS, you should be presented with an opening dialogue box asking you what you wish to do.  If not, check your settings, this is critical.  Click on “Create New” then “Film and Video”.  Then click “View All Presets” and choose your format.  Typically mine is 3840x2160.
  3. At this point you have two options to extract a still image from the video.

METHOD ONE:

1. Make sure your timeline is visible.  Click “Window” then click “Timeline”.
  2. File… Open…  (I have only been able to open videos using the H.264 codec, not H.265 HEVC.
  3. Click on the ‘Render Video’ arrow in the lower left of the PS window.
  4. In the dialogue box choose a name for your images (frames), select a destination folder.
  5. Change “Adobe Media Encoder” to “Photoshop Image Sequence”.
  6. Choose your format.  JPEG? Uncompressed Photoshop?
  7. I recommend leaving the image (Document) size alone, more on that below.
  8. Finally, set your range.  You might want to grab several frames for the reasons mentioned in Method 2.
  9. Click render and enjoy your captured images.

METHOD 2:

1. File… Import… Import Video To Layers
  2. When the dialogue window appears, use the bookends to set your range.  It’s a little coarse this way.
  3. When you click ‘OK’ it will populate your Layers area with all the frames you captured.
  4. For me, capturing one frame is enough, but for doing more with multiple layers, see the video.
  5. Here is the point where Bryan chose to resize the image, and I was impressed.  See video at 3:50.

That's it!  I hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, I should have mentioned:  I'm a Windows 10 user, not a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roger Lilly....thank you so much. problem solved! You ROCK!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 02, 2021 Aug 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!!! Thank you :)))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What helped me: 
1. Quit Photoshop 
2. Open system preferences>Security and Privacy>Files and Folders> make sure to Check the on the Adobe Photoshop Documents folder
3. Restart the Mac
4. Open Adobe account where you install the Photoshop and chooose Open (Intel)

I got the message "Could not open because the video file could not be opened" after I chose  Open(intall) but when I changed the System preferences it worked for me!
Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 22.24.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this solved the problem for me. Sounds like an M1 chip bug for some people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any solution to this? I am having the same issue. I am running the most updated version. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine having problem when adding video on PS Timeline, I can play the video, but there's no image showing, only the audio of the video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2020 Jul 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on PC: "Could not complete the Video Frames to Layers command because the file could not be opened".

Up to 3 days ago everything was working, now no images showung, just audio... any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I've been commenting on everyones post but did you ever figure out how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here.

Videos that worked two weeks ago no longer load. Just a blank square pops up.....

I have converted the videos every which-way I can think of. For some reason the only videos that now open in Photoshop are ones from my phone.... PLEASE FIX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue for me seemed to be related to where the video files are saved. If I open a video from an external drive - no issues. Opening a video saved on the internal drive - error message. The workaround is to copy the video to an external device and open it in Photoshop. Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround - found an old downloader from an external site with Photoshop CC2018 on there, reluctant to post in case Adobe stop it but you can goodle it and should be fine or DM me with your email and I will send it to you - using that in conjuction with Mojave worked great. So we have progressed 1 OS and 1, now 2 Photoshop CC iterations and this functionality no longer works. Well done Adobe and Apple. Once again, your corporate nonsense hurts the people who use your products. 

Ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround - found an old downloader from an external site with Photoshop CC2018 on there, reluctant to post in case Adobe stop it but you can goodle it and should be fine or DM me with your email and I will send it to you - using that in conjuction with Mojave worked great. So we have progressed 1 OS and 1, now 2 Photoshop CC iterations and this functionality no longer works. Well done Adobe and Apple. Once again, your corporate nonsense hurts the people who use your products. 

Ridiculous. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you send me the downloader and will it work with catalina 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines