Video not opening in Photoshop 2021 - PLEASE HELP

Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone, I've been using photoshop to edit/animate for 3+ years and it stopped letting me import .mov and .mp4 files with the newest update. Anyone know a way around this? Only luck i've had so far is importing video files as gifs but that's a lot more limiting let me know if there's a work around please ! 

TOPICS
Bug, Import and export, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So sorry to hear you are having this problem. Here is a link to the known issues that the engineers are dealing with: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/known-issues.html#ProgramErroropeningfiles

The issue you've desicribed is not listed here but it may give you some options to try. One of them is to turn off your graphics processor card and see if that fixes the problem. You will see the steps in the link listed above.

May I recommend that you add this error to the list by visiting the following form: https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Select the product from the Drop Down menu, accept the terms, and explain the issue.

I am not sure if this will help, but I thought you might be interested in another thread--it is an older thread, but you might be able to glean some information to help with your issue:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/cant-open-video-in-photoshop-could-not-complete-the-video-f...

Let us know if turning off the graphics processor card fixes the issue?

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again!

I found this thread that gives more feedback about the recent update and problems with video that I think would give you some more information: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/video-file-not-opening-in-photoshop-2020/td-p/10804494?page...

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2020 Oct 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nothing I've done so far has worked and I've tried everything would it be better to call support? Normally it was as easy as dragging and dropping a video clip into photoshop now it's taken hours and hours of trying to figure out why it's not working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am just checking back to see if you were able to talk to support or get any resolution to the issue?

I just have one quick question--did you try turning off your graphics processor card and restarting to see if that solved the issue? 

Let us know!

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've been experiencing this same exact issue! Were you ever able to solve it? I spent 7 hours on the phone with Adobe customer service today and nothing we tried worked. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/kfh8ma/video_file_cannot_be_openedunrecognized_format/?u...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exact same issue.  Tried all suggestions listed everywhere with no success.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, same here. M1 machine, fully updated,  and for the record:

• Files and Folder access change does not work
  • Moving mp4 file to Desktop does not work
  • Converting from MP4 to MP5 does not work 
  • There is not even an option to Add Video to Layer in ANY mode, let alone Motion Workspace

I actually want to use PS to make the GIFs, rather than an external website. So strange that such fundamental functionality is completely broken.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as the above. Tried a full reinstall of photoshop and tested on 2 M1 machines. Nothing to do on opening .mp4 or .mov files to make GIFs.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me on M1 macbook. 😭

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue M1 mac.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here! Still no solution?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I can tell, Adobe hasn't even reached out to anyone about this.
So, long story short, no solution currently.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2021 Apr 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine's worked try go to File > Import > Video Frame To Layers. Then select the video you want

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Photoshop are you on? There's no Video Frame to Layers option on the latest Mac version as far as I can see.

Alberto_ber_0-1619440416406.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on the most recent version (2021) and there is a Video Frames to
Layers, but it is the same result as when I drag and drop. Maybe you will
have better luck.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (126).png

I'm on version 13.0 x64, in my version i can import both mov and mp4 into gifs don't know about other video files tho, sorry if this doesn't helped i hope you will also find the solution to this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the idea - I tried it again just in case something has changed
over the months - but it still states that it cannot reave the video file.
Which is silly since I have exported it in multiple ways and it doesn't
accept any of them (not mp4, not mov, etc.).

*Jennifer Zaylea*

Assistant Professor, Adjunct

University of the Arts

320 South Broad Street

Philadelphia, PA 19102

215-717-6210

jzaylea@uarts.edu

*uarts.edu*
[image: The University of the Arts]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any one had any luck with this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was saving the same issue with importing video files and image sequences. I'm using Photoshop on Big Sur with an M1 processor on Macbook Pro. I learned that if I open Photoshop in Rosetta, I can import video and image sequences! 

To do this:

Go to Applications > Photoshop > Open the Photoshop Folder> Click the Photoshop Application within the Photoshop folder > Right Click > Get Info > Check the box for Open with Rosetta

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, I'll give that a try!
One would think Adobe could address this after it being problematic for 2+
years.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great Answer!!!

Can confirm that this works for my M1 Air! Imported several videos this way.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, thank you Lindsey. Now I switch Photoshop between running in Rosetta and running natively on the M1 chip when I need to work with video. This is an incredibly inconvenient solution and I expect better from Adobe...

Perhaps one could install an older version of Photoshop and designate that to run on Rosetta, while utilizing the most current version as a native implementation. This might be convenient enough to satisfy me, except that the help article from Adobe that describes the process of installing an older version of a CC app without removing the current version is completely ineffective. Even when toggling "Remove older versions" as explained in the article, I receive a notice when installing older versions that the currently installed version will be replaced.

It's like the Adobe devs and community are inviting us to set sail on the seas of....you know what. It's probably about time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! You are my lift savior.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, @lindseyjo1102 you're a life saver. I was losing my mind for a sec

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines