Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Warning to people using Old Adobe Software

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says.  

Last week my CS5 stopped working for all of my staff, including my personal software.  Only paid $1,500 for nearly 30 copies for the studio.  Last week I was doing some files and making new materials for Texture Haven [link removed by moderator].  Where we create free material, textures, and assets for people who want to use them as they wish.
My Photoshop stopped working, then my Dreamweaver etc.  Upon checking into it today from my personal account, I saw that Adobe had just released an update in the last 2 weeks for Photoshop.

I've been on MacOS Catalina 10.15 for about 7 months.  October 2019, was the last update on my personal system for the OS.  So for 7 months, my software worked completely fine.  Everything worked with no bugs or issues for 7 straight months.  Then Adobe pushes an update to lock me out of my own software.  So obviously I'm not the only one affected by this, but it's ridiculous that I would be forced to upgrade or use new software; when I purchased full upgrade within the policies of the software.
Not to mention the video tutorials I have created in that time frame, showing the software was still working.

This is an illegal action again Adobe can't legally do that without breaking the law.  California arbitration law related to CA Civ Code § 1792
" Unless disclaimed in the manner prescribed by this chapter, every sale of consumer goods that are sold at retail in this state shall be accompanied by the manufacturer s and the retail seller s implied warranty that the goods are merchantable. The retail seller shall have a right of indemnity against the manufacturer in the amount of any liability under this section."
**This overrides arbitration policies created by adobe.

And thus, forcing a software or product to break through an update would violate that law.  They don't need to update and keep any type of development on old software, but they can't just break it and stop the use of the product purchased to force a consumer to purchase or to buy into a new plan. 
Case Study: Teri Goldstein vs Microsoft 2016.

*smell that class action coming*

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I do understand your anger and frustration around not being able to get your purchased software work. However in my opinion you are a bit misplaced in your opinion about the matter. CS5 is a very old software, and no where can you claim that Adobe or for that matter any software firm would guarantee that a software would work on all the forthcoming versions of the OS. Based on my search i see that the recommended MAC OS for CS5 is 10.6, see the following

https://prodesigntools.com/products/adobe-cs5-system-requirements.html

Now i don't see how is Adobe is responsible to keep this software running on 10.15. For your point that it was working and stopped working after an update, the update was meant for people using on the recommended OS not the ones on non recommended OS. So for every point that you make in support of making the software compatible with the latest OS, there will always be another group that would be using it in the recommended environment. For me the second group will always take precedence. You can't pass a lucky aberration as the norm. I am also a developer who sells software, and i can rightfully say no one can force me to release an update to a software i sold 10 years ago, nor would i support any case for supporting a platform that was not even in existence when i sold the software. Hope this makes sense, in my experience this is how softwares and developers work, they can't anticipate what a future OS would hold in terms of support for my current offering

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run an older Mac with an olkder OSX. ALl of my Adobe software no longer works.  Says can't authenticate.  Never received a message from Adobe about this and now I am noit able to work!  I too had paid a good sum of money for CS  design suite,2,3,4  also Dreamweaver 6, Firworks 6 and more. Why was this done? and how can I get these working again?   This is not making for very good customer relations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at the following link to find how to resolve your issue

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/activation-deactivation-help.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a computer that can run Catalina, then you have a modern system, so perhaps you should upgrade your software to suit it. The Photography Plan, which includes the latest version of Photoshop (and you'll see some exciting new features that weren't available in your years-old version) plus updates as they become available and Lightroom and cloud storage for just around $10 a month. 

(If you want to run your old software, get an old computer that can run an old operating system. This class action idea comes up from time-to-time, it never comes to anything!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Upon checking into it today from my personal account, I saw that Adobe had just released an update in the last 2 weeks for Photoshop.«

For Photochop CS5? Are you sure? 

Could you please post some proof for this claim? 

Quite frankly I think Manan Joshi put it very well already. 

You having been able to use obsolete software on a current OS (and hardware) was lucky coincidence and your complaint seems to lack merit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look at all the people who literally did NOT READ what I posted.

Let me break it down again.  I have CS5 Master Suite.  In OCTOBER 2019, Calatina was released for Mac OS.  All studio, office, and personal systems were updated.  Since that update, FOR 7 MONTHS, the software continued to work flawlessly with no issues for myself and EVERYONE in the studio.  The Start of 2019, I was required to download the new Adobe Creative Cloud, that's where I reinstalled CS5 from, to get it back on my new Imac pro, the new system with the "old software".

So again, I will repeat this for the 3rd time now, for 7 months past the release of Catalina, the software worked fine, there was never any issues or conflicts in the use from myself and nearly 30 to 40 others in the studio who actively used it.

Until about ~May 10th, when Adobe had an update on the whole "Creative Cloud" system, that is when ALL of our software mysteriously stopped working.  This was some type of update directly from Adobe.  This doesn't mean they were updating CS5 directly.  This means that some licensure update or anything related to the old CS5 system was then cut off and the license itself was blocked and removed, so ANYONE using it can no longer use it and is forced to update.

You guys keep posting links to nonsense that DOES NOT RELATE.   We already know that there is no updated support for CS5.  We already know that you are trying to force us to spend $10/month so Adobe can profit more from that system.  The fact is, the software cost nearly $1,500, I wanted CS5 alone for a reason, for the uses that we have it for.  We don't want to "upgrade" and use the new formats or the new tools within the new updated software.  For what we use it for, we had the tools and capabilities to KEEP using the CS5 software, until Adobe just blocked us out of it with an update licensure block.

There is no point to update or use new tools and systems for what we are using it for.  It's also expenditure to dish out another 50-100k for the training, then another 300-450k for updating our systems to meet the new software backend and plugins, to develop what we need again.  Which will only be a waste of money and time, since the CS5 has the tools that the new versions try to over complicate with the UI changes.  The re-development alone is the biggest factor.

Which goes along with their press release about seeing people who are using older software.  

We don't care if it's updated or monitored or has any future hotfixes.  We do our own development to make it work with the current or previous OS system as we see fit.  But when Adobe used their updating system to block the license from their side, it then becomes Illegal for myself or my staff to develop a workaround, because we will then be manipulating code in the software, which is against the policies of the use.

Again, they blocked the older licensures, it wasn't a Mac OS system issue, or the software wouldn't have worked for over 7 months while our systems were on Catalina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»We already know that you are trying to force us to spend $10/month so Adobe can profit more from that system.«

This is a user Forum, so you are not really addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe employees thankfully have been dropping by.

And as far as I can see your arguments have not lent more merit to your complaint. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We often get reports on the forums of users successfully running a combination of software and OS's that "shouldn't work", but if they do good luck, but we also get reports of people suddenly loosing their work because of this. 

I would say that if you're professional and the work is mission critical, upgrade. The cost of a subscription at $10 a month for a busines is trivial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us make it very clear we are not the one's benefitting from you subscribing or not. We are only trying to help here, and we did read your post the first time right. The simple logic that you are refusing to accept is that if you had CS5 running on your 40-50 systems flawlessly for 7 months, it does not mean that Adobe has accepted this combination of OS and software as a supported duo. Their concern is to give support and updates to the users who are now on the so called supported platforms. So if an update wrecks havoc for an unspoorted environment it is not on their take care list. If you are so livid about the updates, may i ask why did you update Creative Cloud application, what were you hoping to get out of it, if you were happy with the way your Adobe softwares working. Its all your teams responsibility to maintain the OS/software in the state that works for you.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but CS5 was end of life years ago. No support - no updates, it can still be activated though (unlike CS to CS3) .

You claim that Adobe has pushed out "some type of update directly from Adobe" . Can you show evidence of that? You mention CC updates.

You say you had to install Creative Cloud to install CS5 ? The two are not associated. If you have a CC account why not just load the software designed for Catalina? Sorry but your claims do not add up.

If you want to take up your issue with Adobe though, then contact them directly. but, given that the only versions claimed to be compatible with the Catalina OS are CC v20 and CC v21 and those with older versions of Photoshop are advised not to use Catalina OS, I would not hold my breath.

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Dave

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Upon checking into it today from my personal account, I saw that Adobe had just released an update in the last 2 weeks for Photoshop.«

That sentence is a bit mystifying to me – does it imply that the OP uses Photoshop 2020 and Photoshop CS5 on the same computer and has CC set to auto-update? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to tell you but this is now subscription based, you don't own CC software you have a subscription to it. That means they get change the terms and software at their whim. I just got a forced update to most recent version of photoshop,  I just wnt to go back to before they started screwing with the interface, but sadly cannot. I understand your frustration, but know there's nothing we can do except stop using the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is keeping you from reverting to a previous version? 

But make sure to back up your presets before doing that. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no such thing as a FORCED update. 

Open Creative Cloud desktop and change your Preference settings (gear icon) to remove automatic app updates.  Also don't remove old versions until you're certain you won't need them again.  You have lots of choices.  Use them wisely.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are legacy or perpetual versions of Photoshop compatible with macOS Catalina?

No, legacy/perpetual versions of Photoshop were not designed or tested to work on macOS 10.15 (Catalina). They are not supported in any way for use on macOS Catalina.

Adobe does not recommend that customers using old versions of Photoshop upgrade to macOS Catalina.

Incompatible versions (version 19.x and earlier) will not display in the ‘Older Versions’ list within the Creative Cloud desktop app.

Older versions use 32-bit licensing components and installers. Therefore, they cannot be installed and activated after upgrading to macOS Catalina. Upgrading to macOS Catalina with an older version already installed on your computer may allow the application to function in some capacity; however, you will not be able to reinstall or activate the application after the macOS upgrade.

Before upgrading to macOS Catalina, you may uninstall the older versions as the uninstaller will not work after upgrading. If you have already upgraded to macOS Catalina, you can use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to uninstall older versions.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

You will have to downgrade from Catalina if you wish to install and use the earlier perpetual versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Adobe regarding this matter as this is a user group designed to assist users to resolve their issues and your issue is with Adobe directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I COMPLETELY sympathize. I understand that we can't expect Adobe to keep their old software up-to-date and compatible with every new OS iteration in perpetuity.  But they should not mess with software that we ALREADY OWN and actively do something to render it unusable, which is what they've done here. My friend, who's a freelancer, actually designated a computer strictly for professional work, and made it unable to connect to the internet. She does her graphics/design projects on it, transfers finished product to USB drives and then either plugs the drive into an internet-connected laptop to upload to client servers, or physically gives drives to clients. It's a total pain in the neck, but she spent $5,000 on a good setup a few years ago and can't afford to upgrade to CC for quite a while, and was afraid of accidentally activating an automatic upgrade that would run everything.  We shouldn't have to be so paranoid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not mess with software already "owned"*, there have been no updates to perpetual versions for years.  However an update to an operating system messes with it big style. The only way to guarantee an old system continues to work is to freeze everything i.e hardware (computer, storage disks, and cameras), software (application like Photoshop and those around it) , and operating system version. Changing or updating any of those risks the software no longer working.

* You actual own a license to use the software , not the software itself, but that is a technicality here.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, we own the LICENSE to use software, I was just using shorthand.

And yes, my friend did exactly what you described as "freezing" everything.  No updates, no upgrades, but like I said, it's paranoid and it's not practical for most of us to take such extreme steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not practical then you have to accept the risk. Even with a frozen system there is a risk with a hardware failure.

Despite the claims in the first post, nothing has been shown to be due to an update on old software. In fact, to the contrary, many owners of that old software have requested updates that will never come. CSx software is end of life and is not updated.

In the first post the software was being run on an operating system that did not exist when the software was released and still did not exist when it was killed off and replaced. That is the opposite of freezing the system and therefore risks everything grinding to a halt.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree. And the comments here have not been fair

The user accepts there will be no support, upgrades etc etc etc - they just dont want Adobe to "break" tje software

I have experienced exactly the same - perfect use of CS6 on MBP2015 High Sierra and then with a CC release (and no I dont know what it did) but with NO  other changes to the system except this CC update - all CS6 stopped working dead

So - please understand what the OP was saying. They understand all the comments about forever buying the latest software and the misery of Saas that means you have to rent the software - where as before you could buy it and choose when / if to upgrade

For my part I reinstalled the CS6 software and it all started working again (so yes - whatever the update, it was adobe - and even f it didnt related to CS6 the update broke it, and reinstalling it fixed it)

BTW I have a CC subscription and recently upgraded to Catalina, only to find the new PS DOES work but Premier Pro doesnt (what a mess)

SO consulting compatibility I now have to upgrade all over again to Monterey - but giess what if Adobe maintains its policy of demading the OSX be upgraded EVERY year *staggering* then next year they will force me to upgrade my HARDWARE (and I have a laptop with unused battery, mint screen, super fast 2.8 GHz processor 1TB SSD etc etc etc - but no - Adobe wants me (demands) me to upgrade  in a year  or else I will be locked out of CC forever. (Ive been in creative industries for 20 years - and that has never happened)

Funny how adobe and Apple (bed fellows for 35 years) seem to be able to juggle OSC and CC upgrades so they both get users to upgrade without choice. (ANd its getting worse)

So I have more sypathy for the OP than most. Not really going to get into further debate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny how adobe and Apple (bed fellows for 35 years) seem to be able to juggle OSC and CC upgrades so they both get users to upgrade without choice. (ANd its getting worse)

Automatic updates for CC applications are a matter of settings, so if one does not want them the »choice« is there. 

Though I am not sure what the defult setting was, so it’s possible the default installation includes auto-updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im sorry youve not understood the issue. But thank you for your contribution. As indicated I wont be getting into a forum tennis match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2024 Feb 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

edited

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines