• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Understanding the purpose of "CAI Helper" installed by Photoshop 22.4

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Photoshop auto-updated to 22.4 earlier today, and I noticed an application called "cai-helper"appeared in my /Application directory. I thought it was malware, then I noticed that Photoshop mentioned it in "What's new" (but only there), and it was installed around the same time as Photoshop itself.

The app bundle did not give enough info to deduce what this is for. So the question is what does this thing do, and why is it not mentioned anywhere else? And why is it not inside the Photoshop directory?

QQ20210513-222749@2x.png

QQ20210513-222607@2x.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

@Jon23448731rtq2 wrote:

If adobe really cared about artists they would do something about marketing firms and other massive companies that rob artists of their work. . 

The Content Authenticity Initiative largely exists because artists got sick of people ripping off their work, or altering their work without permission to create inflammatory images. Content Authenticity is a way to help prove who truly created and has the rights to an image, by using a voluntary provenance trail to distingui

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine it is associated with the "Content Authenticity Initiative". More info. here:

https://blog.adobe.com/en/publish/2020/10/20/content-authenticity-initiative-unveils-content-attribu...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge over reach and a massive trojan horse for something insidious...Seems like i can see which way photosop is leaning politically because no corporation does anything like this out of the goodness and kindess of their heart....for the "artist" much less. No one give a crap about artists. They are free marketing and image generators. If adobe really cared about artists they would do something about marketing firms and other massive companies that rob artists of their work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jon23448731rtq2 wrote:

If adobe really cared about artists they would do something about marketing firms and other massive companies that rob artists of their work. . 

The Content Authenticity Initiative largely exists because artists got sick of people ripping off their work, or altering their work without permission to create inflammatory images. Content Authenticity is a way to help prove who truly created and has the rights to an image, by using a voluntary provenance trail to distinguish an original work from unauthorized copies.

From the CAI home page:

“We are a community of media and tech companies, NGOs, academics, and others working to promote adoption of an open industry standard for content authenticity and provenance.”

It is not tied to one corporation. It is an open standard technology arrived at after discussions that included nonprofits and news organizations.

And no, a corporation probably wouldn’t do this out of the “goodness of their hearts” but if you follow the money, the motivation for Adobe would be better PR for Photoshop. For example, to a lot of people the term “Photoshopped” already means “faked image,” so the company might have decided it was it in their best interests, commercially, to add technology that helps prove how images have been modified or not modified, and also prove which creator really owns it. In other words, Photoshop is currently seen as part of the problem of image copying and theft, so adding Content Authenticity can now help Photoshop become part of the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon how often do you go directly from discovering something new into complete paranoia, without first googling it?

I have good news for you; this condition is curable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2023 Sep 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I remove this from my machine will it impact the Adobe Products?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, @mehadi28596717o1nl. I'll clarify this for you.

It is harmless, and it is a necessary component for Content Credentials to work in Photoshop. Content credentials will help to make your work in Photoshop safe for commercial use.

You can learn more about this from the content shared by @PECourtejoie below: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/understanding-the-purpose-of-quot-cai...

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the pop-up from cai-helper asking for access to all my files, I paniced, shut down my PC and turned off my router to reset my IP address 😝
They really should have come up with a better name for this app that gave a clear link to it being part of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2022 Aug 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing just happened to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on my machine as well. Very annoying 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2023 Jun 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, I freaked out too. I had to take a screenshot, close everything down and then get back and google what this is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not on my Mac. But see: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-beta-discussions/gett-rid-of-cai-helper/m-p/13107262

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2022 Sep 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, a google search also gave me this helpx page: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/content-credentials.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines