• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When copying and pasting image from web browser to photoshop, colors are different than original.

New Here ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally, I edited a PDF that someone sent me using Photoshop, and used the JPGs in an HTML document. One of the images needed to be edited, so I just copied and pasted it from the browser back to Photoshop. The problem is, the pasted image colors look very different from the original.

I'd like to know how to convert the colors on my image back to their original state in photoshop:

color-change-example.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original image's Color Space? 

Please set the Status Bar to »Document Profile« and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The likely issue is, your web browser isn't color managed (and of course, Photoshop is). 

OR the image from the web has no embedded profile and depending on your Color Settings, Photoshop isn't assuming the correct profile (likely sRGB). You can try assigning sRGB and see if that helps, but if the browser isn't color managed, it isn't showing you the colors correctly. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, PDF to JPG to HTML and back to PS as a PSD file to make changes? Okay! So did the color change in the browser display from your JPG or only once you brought it back into PS? If you are trying to now match the HTML color, have you checked the hex codes? They likely shifted based on the browser you cut it from. Can’t you go back and make the edit to the JPG you took from the PDF and then place it back into the HTML document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet it's untagged data, no color profile. In that case, something like this is exactly what you can expect.

A round trip like this is perfectly possible (if not exactly recommended) as long as you watch the profile and make sure it's embedded all the way. If it goes missing, reassign it in Photoshop.

Non-color managed web browsers is a thing of the past. They're all color managed now, at least as long as there is a color profile. How they treat untagged data still varies a bit, though.

The only exception is screenshots. A screenshot is a special case. It is no longer connected to the original file, and the original color profile no longer applies. A screenshot has already been converted into the monitor profile, so that's the profile you need to assign. If this sounds confusing, don't use screenshots until you understand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I make tons of screen shots and indeed, you must assign the display profile then convert to sRGB (ideally). I have no idea why all the screen shot makers don't do this for us. 

On my Mac, I have a product called Hazel that looks at folders where the screen shots go to, it then automatically assigns my display profile to what is a TIFF, then makes a copy into another folder. Hazel looks at that folder and converts that TIFF to a JPEG and converts to sRGB. HUGE time savor. Hazel does far more, but this task alone is worth the price of admission for me. 

https://www.noodlesoft.com

Indeed, all modern web browsers are color managed (to some degree). Some folks are still using really old operating systems and browsers unfortunatly. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines