• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does one line of text have discrete baselines?

Explorer ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a new thing? I've just made a single line of point text, adjusted the size of some of the text, and now the baselines are not the same. 

In the past this has not been the case. Is this new? Or perhaps a bug? 

Thanks for any insight.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Solved: Somewhere along the line I had superscript activated. Who knows when or how as I never use superscript but I'm glad to have a solution. It creates jarring results when you're not expecting it, hence making this thread. Thanks to all who chimed in. 

Try it yourself:

1. Make a line of point text
  2. Make some characters a different size than the rest
  3. Select entire line of text & make super script

solved.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what font that is? I tried repro'ing but it's working as expected. Examples:

(Pictured, from top to bottom: Roboto (regular), Trajan Sans Pro (regular), and Arial (regular).)

fonts.jpg

Also, have you updated to the latest version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I was on the latest version of Photoshop. I've since rolled back to 22.0.0 after posting so I can avoid this issue and get my work done.

I just re-opened my test PSD and it looks like it was Myriad Pro. However it's repeatable with different typefaces. Curiously, my test document still displays the uneven baseline even when viewing in the legacy v22.0.0. 

Something was certainly odd as I was getting an error when trying to switch fonts (when using later version of Photoshop)

example-2.png

example-3.png

Saw this when using later version of Photoshop as I tried to switch typefaces ...

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 11.10.24 AM.png

   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be corruption, maybe at the font level, if not at the Photoshop level. Have you tried restoring the fonts and/or reinstalling the later version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still on a legacy version as I have a deadline to meet. However if it were font corruption, it seems odd that it would still affect the new samples where I've changed the fonts. Noting would surprise me however. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you. Checked the text box controls and made sure something like leading isn't set wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to Top-to-Top Leading and Bottom-to-Bottom Leading? Those are each grayed out and unselectable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anything, but I see you found it was super script. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this happening with all of your Photoshop files? Just old ones? Just new ones?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've only seen this in a file I made today using the latest version of Photoshop. I've never seen this before in all my many years of using this software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create another new file does the problem persist? If not, you may just have a single corrupt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved: Somewhere along the line I had superscript activated. Who knows when or how as I never use superscript but I'm glad to have a solution. It creates jarring results when you're not expecting it, hence making this thread. Thanks to all who chimed in. 

Try it yourself:

1. Make a line of point text
  2. Make some characters a different size than the rest
  3. Select entire line of text & make super script

solved.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah the good old sneaky superscript problem 😉

I wonder if you accidentally triggered it by pressing the keyboard shortcut...

Command/Control + Shift + "+"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines