• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why, for the love of god...

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the recent release (22.4), abruptly, Adobe decides to remove all file formats (that don't support layers) from the "Save As..." list? Now, the only way to achieve this is through "Save a Copy"? I'll preface this by saying I just unloaded on Adobe Support via chat, and they didn't offer any solutions for me-- *if* there's a workaround, please (please), please let me know... I'm pretty sure there's not.

This small, seemingly nuanced change, is *detrimental* to the work flows of what I can only assume to be easily 50% of your entire user base. I have over 100 actions that I have created to speed up my post-production workflow (for 3D rendering), assuming various tasks for various clients, and literally all of them conclude with "Save As"; spitting out both opaque JPG and transparent PNG previews of each file. I do this daily, often several hundred times. Photographers do this daily. Graphic designers do this daily ... because nobody wants to deal with manually removing "copy" from their filenames hundreds of times a day because somebody "didn't know" JPG's don't have layers, or have to use File Renamer to do it for you after the fact.

The same woes apply to those of us who have also been programmed to use that road-tested Save As keyboard shortcut, only to have to close out of that prompt, do the "other" shortcut that muscle memory won't allow, and manually delete "copy" from the filename/save. Come on guys, 2021's *not* the year to have a bunch of people waking up on the wrong side of the bed daily because they have to spend the next year trying to un-learn something they've been doing for years (or decades) lol.. Over and over. And all because (guaranteed) some tween whined about losing their work, not knowing that JPG's """can't save layers""". This is yet another example of Adobe pandering to the first-time user over industry veterans who actually, you know, pay for the software vs. pirate it. 

Take literally any other piece of imaging software; "Save As" has universal functionality. Come on, just put a checkbox in there (that you can "default" for idiot users) that says "Save as a Copy" and power users can un-check / default for *their* workflows). Don't break the entire system. Or, at bare minimum, tell us how we can manually edit a preferences file to do this? Add a way to revert this in the Preferences UI? Give us something here.. you already dumped on us by changing the entire functionality of Transform just to copy Sketch (as if those users are going to start using PS because of that), 2021's enough already. Give us this one.

I'm begging you...

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

I refer to this thread.

P: Save as formats have disappeared Photoshop 22.4

TL; DR version: Blame Apple.  😛

EDITED: Added forgotten hyperlink. Derp.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I refer to this thread.

P: Save as formats have disappeared Photoshop 22.4

TL; DR version: Blame Apple.  😛

EDITED: Added forgotten hyperlink. Derp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh I'm on here on the forums so rarely, my bad; when I did a Google search for it I thought-- "Is this really not an issue for anybody else?" I guess it's so new there aren't many hits on it outside of here. Thrilled to know I'm not alone, maybe that means something will actually happen. You know, like a simple checkbox so we can all go about our lives.

For the record (to any other replies): the support chat made me aware of the Apple issue, but there are easily three other workarounds that would still address this issue effortlessly, both without making Win/Mac divergent or causing any real headaches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this. I'm not familiar with scripts, but reading this, is it essentially replacing PSD with JPG as an option in the drop-down? My goal is just to override / see the full list of available file formats as in "Save a copy", aware of any methods of making this happen via scripts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're not familiar with scripting then first try my code before guessing what may happen trying to understand lines of code. There is very simple instruction how to use it to see effect.

Basicly it opens current file path window and let you save it as jpg (with/out changing name). It's alternative that re/saves everything as jpg untill other formats would be specified in script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if (documents.length) {
	var fN; try{fN = (aD = activeDocument).fullName}catch(err){}
	fle = fN ? File(decodeURI(fN).replace(/psd$/i, 'jpg')).saveDlg
	('Choose: ', '*.jpg') : File.saveDialog('Choose: ', '*.jpg'),
	(jpg = JPEGSaveOptions).quality = 12, aD.saveAs(fle, jpg, true)
}

Save it as jpg.jsx to Presets / Scripts folder of Photoshop folder.

Relaunch Ps and assign a shortcut to File / Scripts / jpg.

You may also Insert Menu Item from Actions panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines