• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Photoshop changing my selection area?

New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a longtime Photoshop user but new to the current version and first time using it on my Lenovo Thinkpad. When I use the rectangular marquee or crop tool, after I release to finalize the selection area, Photoshop automatically moves it to a completely different area and changes the size of the selection. Also, while I'm selecting, it like flips back and forth between where I am and other areas in the image. Even if I wait for it to flip back to my desired area/where my mouse actually is on the screen, as soon as I release my finger, it flips to some other area and size. And these are just JPGs (multiple files, same issue). I have already turned off the Snap to feature and reset all tools to default settings, same problem. I can find nothing online, and Photoshop pulls up nothing when I search for auto-select. I have no other problems with this computer whatsoever. What is this??

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Preferences? They can be found within the Photoshop menu on a Mac and the Edit menu on Windows. Within the General tab is the button Reset Preferences On Quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If reset the preferences doesn't solve the issue try to reinstall photoshop with this tool:

https://helpx.adobe.com/en/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you try unchecking Auto-Select the box at that top?

Do you have another mouse, trackpad, or touch device near you or in your work area?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines