• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the "Quick Selection Tool" working so slowly? - Photoshop CC in Windows 7

Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to use the Quick selection tool, it takes a REALLY long time to select. I had CS5 and it was super fast, even with large RAW files. Now with CC, it takes at least 20 minutes to select a person out of a photo.

I already tried "resetting" the tool - that did not work at all.

Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 14, 2014 Jan 14, 2014

Hey! I had the SAME problem... solved in 30 minutes because I had put CC on my laptop and the Quick Selection tool is fast, but on my Mega-fast desktop (16gb, 4.2Ghz, blah, blah) Photoshop CC was DRAGGING BUTT.
The difference is I loaded the desktop from scratch. The Laptop had CS5 prviously, and PS copied the settings from Edit/Preferences/Performance that existed in CS5... it was all about the History & Cache section. Hit "Big and Flat" for the 1024K cache tile size, and it set the cache states

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2015 Jul 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have changed the settings using some of the above suggestions but nothing has worked for me. I recently updated from Photoshop 2014 CC to 2015 CC. I am on a Mac with 4gb ram and 2.66 Dual Core Processor, but never had quick selection behaving so slow until I updated. My current settings are cache level and history 6, tile 1024k, and I have restarted photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this problem and it even extends to certain selections made through other methods. I've done all of the advice in this thread and nothing has fixed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero shootmyphoto.com  Worked like a charm!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a Mac, and simply changing the cache size from 1 to 4, (as previously suggested), was the solution. I re-booted PS and the tool Quick Selection tool began working normally (fast) again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

i have clicked to big & fat , photoshop set cache at 6 and 1024K

after i set the cache to 4

i can't notice any differents between 4 and 6

which is the right value?

what do you use 4 or 6?

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although this reply is majorly late, I only started to play around with photoshop recently. I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but while looking for a solution to this problem I came up with one of my own. I have an older slower computer that is still strong enough for doing a lot of the things I do but I noticed with higher resolution images that I've scanned in act up in the same way when trying to do a selection...

My solution is to make a duplicate copy of whatever you are working with or a stamped layer, convert it to a smart object, enter the smart object and reduce the resolution, then just remove anything you don't want to select save it and go back to the original and just ctrl-click the smart object to transfer the selection...

I know it's late but if I'm reading this today it might help someone else in the same boat 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines