• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Explorer ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW. Adobe don't care as long as all of its users are trapped on perpetual monthly "rent" of software. Lazy as NY landlords

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a collegue reporting a problem, I can't find it listed anywhere and as I am a Mac user I cant recreate / confirm. On her windows laptop she states that since the most recent PS update (mid June 21) in file explorer she now only sees the PS icon for her PSDs and can't get a thumbnail preview of her pictures to select the right one before opening. 
I am not sure about this at all,  and wondered if anyone else is noticing this or if anyone had any tips I can pass on to her. 

TIA 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Windows doesn't have the ability to show previews of PSD's

She could use Adobe Bridge or one of the following

https://poppeman.se/pictus/

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are packages  that can be installed in windows the will generated Tunmbgaims for PSD file in File explorer.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+file+explorer+thumbnails+codecs&newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk00dTd... 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a real bummer. I had my tech guy look at this issue. There are packages  that can do this fo you but he didn't want to install any of them as he said it was uncertain how they would react with my computer as none of them really did well on feedback from those who installed them.

Its has been driving me nuts. It  has slowed my workflow down as I like to store all my active PSD files on the desktop till finished.  If I  forget to  label them I have no idea what image I have on the desktop.   I now need to spend all my time inside Bridge  and make very sure I remember to rename everything in addition to the images number otherwise I find my desktop is full of unidentified images. It would be great if either Windows, Canon or Adobe could come up with a trustworth solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they work well most users will not give any feedback.  So all you will see in feedback reports in software review is feedback from users that had a problems.   So the Plug-in may be great but feedback will be more negative then positive.  I have been using  FastPictureViewer Codec package for  years its very old.  Lately I do have a problem with it.  Adobe added  a PSDT  extension you can use to protect your template. PSDT files are PSD formatted file that open as a new unsaved document.   The issues is  FastPictureViewer Codec package is old and does not know that there  is a image file type extension .PSDT it should generated Thumbnails for. I do not need Adobe PSDT protection so I do not use the T  after the psd. My Photoshop Template populating scripts do not overwrite template files. My templates are safe becaus of my knowledge of Photoshop.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for their help, many of the responses don't entirely fit this situation as she remains adamant she could see the previews before. Having reverted back to the last version (prior to the update) she's happy again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm mystified as to how she got image thumbnails for PSDs without a 3rd-party extension. It's certainly not native for Windows (at least for awhile; I remember it being a thing years ago).

In any case, Bridge is where it's at for anything Adobe-related (and even not Adobe-related; I use it a lot to preview audio). Illustrator, Premiere, Photoshop, you get to see them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a codec I could install in my Windows 10 so I could see the vignette of the image contained in a PSD file instead of the loge PSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find some, also image browsers applications that have implemented it, but unfortunately most of them don't work for .psd's which have been saved in Photoshop with 'Preferences' option:

File Handling / File Compatibility / Maximize PSD and PSB File Compatibility: Never

The associated threads you should see on the right board in 'Related Conversations'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can try this, make sure to select PSD during the install

Pictus image viewer

2021-07-26 15_57_15-Codec to see the icone of PSD file in Windows 10 - Adobe Support Community - 122.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a similar post a while back talking about this. I believe the top verified reply mentioned that he used SageThumbs. The thing is that you cant use default windows preview settings to directly view what a PSD file looks like, which brings in the need for third-party software. 

SageThumbs 2.0.0.23

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are in 2021. It would be really great to attach a small thumb image to any photoshop file in windows. Being able to preview the file in the explorer would be really great.  Please, Please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acctualy I save my files in TIF. I don't know why but it shows in explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Tried a lot of third party most did not display psd thumbs. Mysticthumb did but 40$ a year??    Pictus worked immediately, every where, not even a reboot required.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone please tell me why in 2021 Adobe and Microsoft still cannot display thumbnail images of Adobe CC apps in Windows Explorer natively? What will it take to get them to finally settle the issue after almost 15 years of waiting for a solution?

I don't use Bridge (fonts to small). I don't use Sage (it causes all sorts of issues, including caching issues).

I WOULD REALLY LIKE NATIVE THUMBNAIL SUPPORT UNDER WINDOWS PLEASE!!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, since this is not a support question but a comment for other people to comment on, I would like to ask forum admins to leave this thread open for discussion and to please not close this thread prematurely. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2021 Oct 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft and Apple expect application developers to provide plugins that generate thumbnails and previews for their applications' file types.  Windows and Mac OS provide straightforward, reasonably well-documented toolkits for that purpose.  Most app developers provide such plugins for their apps. But Adobe has always expected Microsoft and Apple to do that work for them.   A pox on all their houses...

While waiting (a very long time) for Adobe to generate thumbnails, you can use third-party Windows "codec" packages such as this one:

http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it's a real bad joke that this still hasn't been implemented after decades of development. Windows users are the vast majority of Ps users, yet the Win version of Ps often feels like a neglected and unwanted child.
I switched to Win10 about 2 years ago after decades of Mac use and almost immediately found dozens and dozens of bugs that weren't present in OSX. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no problem seeing thumbnails in Adobe Bridge.  Likewise, I can see thumbnails from Win 10 (ver 21H1) File Explorer.  If yours does not support thumbnail previews, I urge you to download SageThumbs power shell add-on for Windows.

https://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs/

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you installed Microsoft codec for raw files  or any other developers codex package the display thumbnail in Windows File explored.  Some may need to be updated for Adobe Added a second PSD type PSDT .  I get Thumbnails for all Image files types except PSDT in windows file explorer.  I may have both Microsoft Codec and fastpictureviewer codec packages install on my windows 10 system.  I know fastpictureviewer codec doe Rae ansd PSD it does not know about PSDT its like 5+ years old. Even Adobe Bridge does not show thumbnails for {SDT files

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're saying that .psd thumbnails render in the File Explorer without any plugins now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. 

https://techcult.com/5-ways-enable-thumbnail-preview-windows-10/

But you may also need SageThumbs for unsupported image file types.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PSD and PSB files and PDFs created by PS and Word don't display thumbnails on a virgin Windows 10 Home virtual machine with Creative Cloud and Acrobat Reader newly installed:

johnrellis_1-1633827364125.png

The PSD and PSB files were saved with Preferences > File Handling > Image Previews: Always Save and Maximize PSD And PSB File Compatibility: Always.

The Reader option Preferences > General > Enable PDF Thumbnail Previews In Windows Explorer was enabled.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Windows 10?

Go to Windows search bar and type winver.

Votes

Translate

Translate