Windows no longer able to show thumbnails of PSDs since latest update?

New Here ,
Jun 27, 2021 Jun 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

I wonder if anyone can help, I have a collegue reporting a problem, I can't find it listed anywhere and as I am a Mac user I cant recreate / confirm. On her windows laptop she states that since the most recent PS update (mid June 21) in file explorer she now only sees the PS icon for her PSDs and can't get a thumbnail preview of her pictures to select the right one before opening. 
I am not sure about this at all,  and wondered if anyone else is noticing this or if anyone had any tips I can pass on to her. 

TIA 

TOPICS
Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Windows doesn't have the ability to show previews of PSD's

She could use Adobe Bridge or one of the following

https://poppeman.se/pictus/

https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are packages  that can be installed in windows the will generated Tunmbgaims for PSD file in File explorer.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+file+explorer+thumbnails+codecs&newwindow=1&sxsrf=ALeKk00dTd... 

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a real bummer. I had my tech guy look at this issue. There are packages  that can do this fo you but he didn't want to install any of them as he said it was uncertain how they would react with my computer as none of them really did well on feedback from those who installed them.

Its has been driving me nuts. It  has slowed my workflow down as I like to store all my active PSD files on the desktop till finished.  If I  forget to  label them I have no idea what image I have on the desktop.   I now need to spend all my time inside Bridge  and make very sure I remember to rename everything in addition to the images number otherwise I find my desktop is full of unidentified images. It would be great if either Windows, Canon or Adobe could come up with a trustworth solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they work well most users will not give any feedback.  So all you will see in feedback reports in software review is feedback from users that had a problems.   So the Plug-in may be great but feedback will be more negative then positive.  I have been using  FastPictureViewer Codec package for  years its very old.  Lately I do have a problem with it.  Adobe added  a PSDT  extension you can use to protect your template. PSDT files are PSD formatted file that open as a new unsaved document.   The issues is  FastPictureViewer Codec package is old and does not know that there  is a image file type extension .PSDT it should generated Thumbnails for. I do not need Adobe PSDT protection so I do not use the T  after the psd. My Photoshop Template populating scripts do not overwrite template files. My templates are safe becaus of my knowledge of Photoshop.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone for their help, many of the responses don't entirely fit this situation as she remains adamant she could see the previews before. Having reverted back to the last version (prior to the update) she's happy again. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 04, 2021 Jul 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm mystified as to how she got image thumbnails for PSDs without a 3rd-party extension. It's certainly not native for Windows (at least for awhile; I remember it being a thing years ago).

In any case, Bridge is where it's at for anything Adobe-related (and even not Adobe-related; I use it a lot to preview audio). Illustrator, Premiere, Photoshop, you get to see them all.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines