Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom Shortcut (z) not working - uses latest tool instead - Version 22.4.1

Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

since the latest major Photoshop-Update the Zoom Shortcut (Z-key) is not always working correctly. Sometimes the latest used tool will be executed instead. This is really anoying, especially when it comes to retouching. I usually make small retouching with the clone stamp or healing brush. After some steps I go to 100% view to look at the result. Then I use the Zoom Shortcut to zoom into the area where the retouching is happening. Doing this Photoshop then uses the clone stamp or healing brush instead and paints all over the images. I was hoping for a fix with todays update, but unfortunately this was not happening.

Really hope someone can help me out with this.

Working on macOS Catalina - iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, is it maybe possible that you hold the Z key a little too long? The 'snappy' key is activated then. So: when you keep holding the Z key, then zoom, and then release the Z key again, it'll return to the previous tool (in your case the Clone Stamp Tool).

Maybe another suggestion: 

I'd probably prefer using this combination, especially with the work you do:

Schermafbeelding 2021-06-04 om 12.11.59.png

So, hold Space bar-Cmd and then hold and drag your left mouse button to the left to zoom out and to the right to zoom in (just like you do with the Z key). 

Additionally you can hold Space bar to use the hand tool. Space bar-Cmd (zooming) and Space bar (hand tool) are the ideal combination, in my opinion. It takes a while to get used to, but in the end it's really fast.

Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob!

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

Helped a lot!!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Christian, you're welcome, that's great! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to disable that "snappy key" thing?  I find it highly annoying...and I only just recently ran into this...and I've been using Photoshop for 20 years.  I thought it was a glitch in CC2023.  Never happened in any of the previous versions I've used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Anybody?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines