• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom to 'Print Size' feature completely removed from Photoshop 13.0.2

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe decided to remove the 'Print Size' button/option from the 'Zoom' tool in Photoshop 13.0.2

I use this heavily as I run a print lab and I often need to show people on screen what the size of their print will be (I have set the correct ppi for each display in preferences).

I am absolutely amazed they could remove a feature like this without any warning in a minor update. The irony is that for the first time ever retina displays have enough resolution to assess sharpness without going to 100% and the 'View Print Size' is more useful that ever before.

I will probably have to roll back to the last Photoshop version on all systems but before I do, does anyone know if there is a way to get the 'Print Size' option back???

Thanks!

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Dec 24, 2012 Dec 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did more checking.

First of all, starting from original, which is 20"@360dpi, expanding it to 100%, the oversharpening is obvious, because I did oversharpen.Leaving it set to 100%, I next reduced the pixel value to 95dpi, my screen value.The oversharpening remained quite visible while the physical size reduced as expected.

Now reset back to 360 dpi, and set the % to the calculated value. The oversharpening disappears, physical size matches as in the above paragraph.

So it appears to be a function of the set %.

I'll have to make a print to size to see which is valid. I suspect the view using 26.39% at 360, not 100% at 95 dpi.

But the question still stands: Why, and how does all this relate to scaling for Web vs Print?

I'll be back after making a print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anybody knows the following is wrong, please provide corrections.

The resampling when zooming the display is different to the resampling when resizing an image, except under particular circumstances (for example 50% zoom of an 8-bit image compared with 50% resize with bilinear interpolation of the image) they can be considered to produce almost identical results.

I think the zoomed display is created by interpolating between the image caches which themselves may be bilinear interpolations at scales of 100%, 50%, 25%, etc (where the minimum scale depends on the value of Preferences > Performance > Cache Levels). Some zoom percentages, your 26.39% for example, look quite strongly blurred.

The Image Size resampling depends on the chosen interpolation method in the Image Size dialog. The default in CS6 is Bicubic Automatic, which will result in Bicubic Sharper when downsampling, and that often looks oversharpened. Try plain Bicubic which should look good and not sharper than the original.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The print matched the look using a % of 360, not 100% of screen resolution.

Also, changing to plain Bicubic at 100% of screen resolution matches the prescribed % setting at 360 dpi and the print.

My 26.39% does not look blurred; the print and screen match. I don't think the script setup would be correct if blurring would occur.

Nailed it, conroy!

So, if anyone wants to use screen dpi @100%, use Bicubic, not auto.

Seems Noel grumbled about Auto when first it showed up.

Message was edited by: Hudechrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hudechrome wrote:

My 26.39% does not look blurred; the print and screen match. I don't think the script setup would be correct if blurring would occur.

26.39% is distinctly blurred when compared to 25% or 33.33% on my setup. Of course, that blur may be a closer match to your print.

The script has nothing to do with blur or any other aspect of display quality. The script only calculates a number for you to enter into the zoom control under the document. The blur is unavoidable because of interpolation when generating the display image.

zoom100.png

zom3333.png

zoom2639.png

zoom25.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, and you are correct. Further, setting the dpi to screen resolution, Bicubic,100% provides the best sharpness check, better than running it with the script method.

I should know better; I rarely check anything other than rational divisors of 100% when evaluating output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 14, 2012 Dec 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Forum. Thanks for the link. I made a tab for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 13, 2012 Dec 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hamada2003 wrote:

well it´s very simple....

adobe removed it so they can sell it to you as NEW FEATURE in CS 6.5 or CS7.

honestly..... the cloud clowns at adobe are annoying as hell don´t you think?

It is being reported that there will not be a CS7, it will be what Adobe calls The "Cloud"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2013 Feb 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To: Paul Riggott

Dear Paul,

Thanks for your script 12 déc. 2012 12:00

Meantime, Adobe issued a script to get the right zoom percentage, copied to the clipboard, enabling to paste it in the zoom image percentage field located in the lower left corner of the window. ( http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/no-print-size-button-zoom.html )

However, the number comes with a dot separator, which is not recognized in non anglo-saxon Photoshop versions (mine is french): we need a comma separator.

Could you modify Adobe's script to get zoom factor with comma separator and share it here in text format ?

I am not a developer and not used at all to javascript.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul

I get this error when I try to run it

- The command “Select” is not currently available.

Line: 18

->     executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "slct" ), desc, DialogModes.NO );

Can you help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have CS6 but in CS5 the same option is also available from the View menu. Is that one still there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They got rid of it in the 'View' menu as well and also in the 'Edit>Menus' configuration panel.

It's been wiped off the face of the earth with no obvious way to restore the functionality.

That might be acceptable in a major update but in a dot update it's really stupid to remove a feature like that without any warning at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really unfortunate, I use this a lot and can't believe they removed it.

Does it still have Screen Resolution option in the preferences? The whole point of this option was to provide for the Print Size calculations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Screen Resolution and Print Resolution still exist in Preferences. That is indeed strange that they left that as the 'Screen Resolution' setting was really only there to help Photoshop accurately render 'Print Size' within the Zoom tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll bet a script could be devised.

I agree, by the way - it should not have been removed.  Some would argue that they don't find merit in previewing things at print size on the screen, but others clearly do.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can understand that not everyone uses it and that it is only accurate if you have the correct screen resolution set in preferences. Perhaps it was just confusing/misleading those who didn't know how to use it.

However such functionality shouldn't be removed from a dot release like that. They could have removed the button from the [Zoom] toolbar but still left it as a selectable option in the 'View' menu at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

...  Some would argue that they don't find merit in previewing things at print size on the screen, but others clearly do...

I don't think they would remove features just because not everyone is using them but I don't think it was an accident ether. May be they were replacing it with something that didn't make it for whatever reasons and they forgot to put the previous one back. I wonder if  this has been reported to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emil emil wrote:

I don't think they would remove features just because not everyone is using them but I don't think it was an accident ether. May be they were replacing it with something that didn't make it for whatever reasons and they forgot to put the previous one back. I wonder if  this has been reported to Adobe.

Adobe knows about it.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but will they do anything about except find a way to blame Apple?

Where is the icons corrupting finder icons fix?

Delays after selecting certain tools fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Mac only Get a PC

Photoshop 13.0.2 update for CS6

For convenience and reliability, we highly recommend that you apply this update directly from within Photoshop. To do so, choose Help > Updates in Photoshop CS6 and apply all of the updates listed under Adobe Photoshop CS6 in the Adobe Application Manager.

The Adobe Photoshop 13.0.2 update enables support for new HiDPI displays on the Macintosh platform for a dramatic improvement in image fidelity and resolution.

FILE INFORMATION

ProductPhotoshop
VersionCS6
PlatformMacintosh
File NamePhotoshop_CS6_13_0_2_upd.dmg
File Size128MB

Proceed to Download

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

This update is applicable to all language versions of Photoshop CS6.
Mac OS X v10.6 64-bit - 10.8 64-bit

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

To install the Photoshop 13.0.2 update:
1. Disable all virus protection software.
2. Ensure that the folder on your hard drive containing Photoshop is named "Adobe Photoshop CS6."
3. Double-click the "AdobePatchInstaller" application. If the updater reports that it cannot find the application to update, uninstall Photoshop CS6, and then reinstall the application (using the default folder name "Adobe Photoshop CS6"). To uninstall Photoshop, navigate to the "Applications/Utilites/Adobe Installers" folder and run "Add or Remove Adobe Photoshop CS6" to remove the original installation of Photoshop. Once the removal is complete, reinstall Photoshop, and then run the updater.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We'll be providing a script that replicates the behavior of the button at some point later today.  As soon as it becomes available, we'll post the link here.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Adam!

It's great that you are doing that. It is better than nothing.

You might think twice about removing features in that way in the future. It could have have been obscured instead of completely removed.

Viewing at print size has become more relevant that ever with retina resolutions being close to print. Why would you choose to remove this now of all times? It makes so little sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a workaround, one can launch 13.0.1, open an image in Print Size view and write down the view Percentage as shown in the status bar, then use that % figure when you update to 13.0.2 to zoom to Print Size--provided you maintain the same ppi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can … by typing the value (29.67%  in my case) into the zoom-box in the bottom corner of the image window.

But I haven't yet found a way to write an Action or a Script which will let me Zoom instantly to a precise numerical amount with a single click of a KBSC.

That is the functionality which has been lost and it's infuriating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That assumes you have 13.0.1 to which to begin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick way to do it.

Set the screen resolution to about 96ppi for a LCD display. Set the Image resolution to 96dpi.  Make a File>New to a convenient size to physically measure say 15" and the resolution to 96 dpi. Hit 100% and measure the resulting size. It will be close to 15" and you can fiddle with the Image resolution until it measures the set size, in this case 15". Jot down the number and the next time you need print to size, after scaling the print to size, enter the revised Print Resolution, then 100%.

Remember to reset the resolution before exiting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines