• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add PSE 2022 to Bridge Default/Open With Choices (Windows)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm runing Windows 10 Home on an HP Laptop - Bridge 12 0 1 246 and have installed PS, PSE 2022, PSE 2021 & PSE 2020 and Bridge 2020, 2021 & 2022. 

1.  If I click once on a photo in Bridge it automatically opens in PS (which I do not want).  How do I stop this behavior of automatically opening PS (or any other program)?  I want to "view" my photos in the pre-installed Windows "Photo" program.  If I want to edit the photo, I want to specifically choose one of my PS or PSE programs with which to edit the photo.  I do not want the photos to ever automatically open in a PS or PSE Editor with a single or even a double click.

2.  If I R-click to choose a program with which to open the photo I am only given PS or PSE 2020.  I'm not even given a "Browse for other options" choice. 

If I choose "Edit" > "Preferences" > "File Type Associations" and choose "Browse", it wants me to choose one in my (C:).  I wish to add the choice of PSE 2022 Editor and don't know the specific path or what to choose once I get to the choices in PSE 2022.  e.g do I choose "Program Files" or "Program Files (86)", etc.?  What is the rest of the path and my final choice called to add PSE 2022?  e.g is it an ".exe"or ".dll" file and what, specifically, is it called 

I do need extremely specific paths/help as I am only slightly "computer literate".  (image files would be most welcome)  Thank you for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you will be able to get Bridge to communicate with Photoshop Elements.

Photoshop Elements uses the Organizer, Photoshop uses Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - but it does communicate with PSE 2020 - it just doesn't give me the option of PSE 2022.  I have always used Bridge with PSE.  The only difference is that with PSE it does not give you all the options you get with PS. 

I don't use "Organizer" because it requires the images to be imported into the program and if you move the image to another folder, "Organizer" loses the image and it must be re-attached.  Bridge does not import the images so you can move or rename them without problems.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - but it does communicate with PSE 2020 - it just doesn't give me the option of PSE 2022.  I have always used Bridge with PSE.  The only difference is that with PSE it does not give you all the options you get with PS. 

I don't use "Organizer" because it requires the images to be imported into the program and if you move the image to another folder, "Organizer" loses the image and it must be re-attached.  Bridge does not import the images so you can move or rename them without problems.  

By @Amma963

Let's compare our own experiences:

My own choice has always been to use the organizer, which is far superior to Bridge in terms of organization and above all for searches. Like Lightroom, the organizer is based on a powerful database used as a catalog. That means that the files are not 'imported' in the organizer, they are registered / indexed in the database without duplication. You can move, rename or delete files from within the organizer without creating 'disconnected' files. Imagine the boss asks his secretary to manage document files in a filing cabinet, and that he moves or deletes files while the secretary is away. That's what you are doing when moving, deleting or renaming outside of the organizer. That's also true for Lightroom.

Now, how long does it take in Bridge to find files based on a combination of keywords, captions or exif data from a library of 200 000 items? That's done in a matter of seconds in the organizer or Lightroom, or other catalog-based management systems. And the organizer and the editor are optimized to work together.

That does not mean that you can't use Bridge beside the organizer for its superior metadata management for instance, or even instead of the organizer, which you can leave alone.

I also have a Creative Cloud subscription, of which I have only installed Camera Raw, neither LR nor PS. So I have set Bridge to be the alternative editor to the PSE one in the organizer.

I have set in Bridge the Edit > preference associations for the PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe files of PSE2022.

So, now, when I right click on a thumbnail in Bridge, I can choose to edit either in the full Camera Raw or in PSE. If the file is a raw file and I choose PSE, it opens in the limited version of PSE Camera Raw. If it's not a raw file (jpeg, psd, tiff...) which has already been edited in camera raw, it will also open in the PSE camera raw (just like with the organizer).

Detailed path for the editor file of PSE2022 (version 20):

This PC > Windows(C:) > Programmes > Adobe > Photoshop Elements 2022 > PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

PSE users without a subscription including Photoshop won't be able to use the full Camera Raw, only the limited PSE  ACR version. The Creative Cloud Desktop and Bridge are free without a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the detailed path!  I see your point about the Organizer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop Elements forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

s

What is the rest of the path and my final choice called to add PSE 2022?  e.g is it an ".exe"or ".dll" file and what, specifically, is it called 

By @Amma963

I'm not at my PSE 2020 computer now, but:

for PSE 2018 it is C: > Program files > Adobe > Photoshop Elements 2018 > Welcome Screen > Adobe Photoshop Elements 2018.0.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peru - I think I followed your path correctly but it did not add PSE 2022 to my preferred default programs nor can I R-Click on the image and find PSE 2022 as an option - I still only find PS and PSE 2020 (not PSE 2022)  

And, if I click on the image to see the metadata, keywords or camera setting it still opens in PS.  It's very annoying that it opens in PS as it takes a very long time to open and my computer is locked until it finishes opening  the PS program, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path to the PSE 2022 Editor on a Windows PC is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2022\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

Walter_H_0-1650572446453.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the rest of the path and my final choice called to add PSE 2022?  e.g is it an ".exe"or ".dll" file and what, specifically, is it called 
By @Amma963

The path to the PSE 2022 Editor on a Windows PC is "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 2022\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

2022-04-21 14_55_36-C__Program Files_Adobe_Photoshop Elements 2022.png

--
Walter in Davie, FL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines