Adding captions to jpg photos in bulk in PSE 2022

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About 10 years ago this forum was asked if it was possible to add existing file titles as captions within jpg photos in bulk (because there were thousands of photos in a hundred or so albums). The purpose isto have the caption visible in a slideshow, e.g. The correct answer was deemed to be from Barbara B. who suggested "why not files>process multiple files>caption". Others found that this worked. Over the years, the question still gets asked, but the consensus is repeatedly "it can't be done" or suggests an incredibly complex procedure which I can't follow. Unfortunately,  Barbara no longer participates. 

So, my question is: Is Barbara's simple solution available in PSE 2022 for Windows 11?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Roger,

I have rarely seen a similar post where nothing is clear, nothing is proven, nothing is precise. Starting from the title, which has nothing to do with the apparent tecnical issue to the final question which seems simple but does not make sense.

- The title asks for 'bulk adding of captions', which is not a problem at all and has many solutions

- the underlying real problem has been discussed recently, and my summary is that old obsolete softwares had added under no longer used metadata fields what some text users would like now to appear under the 'caption' fields. That has nothing to do with adding the same caption in bulk to many files. The solution, even 20 years ago was to use softwares capable of updating the metadata: exiftool or Bridge for instance. The first thing would be to confirm that real issue.

- I have followed this forum long before I started to participate and I can say that I am very dubitative about what you report from memory 'over the years the question still gets asked'. That's not my experience at all. There are of course a number of posts about managing and batch changing metadata fields, but the precise conversion from old 'title' to captions (description) has been very rare. There may have been some confusion about what Barbara suggested about similar issues, but I don't believe at all that there has been a 'simple' solution, and certainly not based on process multiple files.

Your final question is based on the existence of that 'simple' solution which has never existed or which dealt with a different issue.

To hope for a manageable (even if not really simple) solution, you must start with more detailed info. Something like that other recent post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/import-captions-in-photoshop-elements-...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines