• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had split the catalog into personal and work.  Was working fine but i went to do a backup and there was a problem with the files.  I reloaded the personal part and had to re do the file folder hieracrhy.  Now to do the job folder.  Should i just copy and paste and put it back into the personal catalog (so forgetting the job catalog) thereby going back to one catalog.  I read that that may be a problem but I think it may be better in the long run to stick with one catalog.  Any thoughts on this?

1st thought is to move from Premiere Elements to Photoshop Elements... Moderator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2021 Sep 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not told us what the problem is.

First, there is generally no need to use more than one catalog.  There are other ways to organize a catalog between work and home.  But, there should also be no problem using two catalogs.

If you are seeing 'missing files'  in one of the catalogs, it sounds like you may have moved your folders using Windows Explorer.  This should NEVER be done.  The Organizer is simply a catalog of where you store your files.  If you don't use the Organizer to move, rename or delete your files and folders, the Organizer will have no idea what you have done with them.  If this is not the problem, please explain further what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2021 Sep 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to reload my pictures. My personal loaded fine. Now I have my
business catalog to load. Under manage catalolgs i added business - jobs.
Now I am not sure how to load the catalog. I wanted to take it off the
external drive. Do I load it under business-jobs. Attach is a picture of
my 2 catalogs. If you can tell me the best way to load it that would be
great. If you think I can just load it under personal and organize it
differently I can do that as well. Please let me know which is the best way
to go . Thank you
Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention.  Yes I do organize, and move within the catalog.  I dont move anything outside of the catalog.

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had split the catalog into personal and work.  Was working fine but i went to do a backup and there was a problem with the files.  I reloaded the personal part and had to re do the file folder hieracrhy.  Now to do the job folder.  Should i just copy and paste and put it back into the personal catalog (so forgetting the job catalog) thereby going back to one catalog.  I read that that may be a problem but I think it may be better in the long run to stick with one catalog.  Any thoughts on this?

By @mec4cast

Splitting the catalog generally means creating two different catalogs (which is a valid choice in your case), or it can mean separating the files folders under two distinct locations: drive, partition or two simple master folders.

I don't believe you are in the second case, but that is something possible and advisable whether you keep a single catalog or two new ones. You just have to move folders by drag and drop in the folders tree in tree mode.

If you get two distinct catalogs, you have to backup them separately. This offers the opportunity to restore each one on two different 'custom' locations on your drives.

Could you describe in more details how you did split the two catalogs? That will help us understand what you have lost and what may be still working as before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can explain what I did.  I had one catalog called my catalog.  So I went into manage catalogs and named another Jobs.   So then I moved files from my catalog to Job catalog by going to Import - From Files and Folders- pictures and I highlight all the pictures in each of the separate folders and moved into job catalog. Then when I do backup i backup my catlog and then i do a back up for the Job catalog.  When I download my job pictures I open up the job catalog and download from the file - card reader to that catalog.  

I reload my catalog back up and its fine.  Now I want to reload the job catalog from my backup on my external drive.  what is the best way to do this?

Thank you

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I can explain what I did.  I had one catalog called my catalog.  So I went into manage catalogs and named another Jobs.   So then I moved files from my catalog to Job catalog by going to Import - From Files and Folders- pictures and I highlight all the pictures in each of the separate folders and moved into job catalog.

Mary

By @mec4cast

That's what is not clear:

- you create a new (empty) catalog named 'Jobs' OK

- Since there is no way to 'move' files from a catalog to another one, I suppose you have a way to know which files are to be considered 'jobs' from your file structure: your folders are already separated into two branches. Then it's possible to 'import' only the 'jobs' only into the new catalog. There is no move, no transfer in that operation, only a partial duplication.

The original catalog is still the same and you have a 'jobs' catalog partial copy still pointing to the same physical files on your drives. This is dangerous since what you do in a catalog (move, rename, delete) is ignored by the other catalog. Further, even if you have written metadata to files before importing in the 'jobs' catalog, you have lost albums, stacks, version sets and many other information in the import.

The situation would be the same even if you managed to move the 'jobs' file from within the main catalog to a new folder structure from which to import.

So, it's necessary to give us more detailed description of what you did at that stage.

https://johnrellis.com/psedbtool/photoshop-elements-faq.htm#_Splitting_and_rearranging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi   I read the article above now I have to load my job catalog. When I did this and was on the phone with someone from support because I got the new version of photoshop as well as a new computer - so I dont remember everything we did.  I do remember reconnecting missing files.  Now I want to reload my Job pictures - they are backup on the c drive as well as an external drive.  I did check the pictures and the information is still attached to each one (where it was taking and the year and time).  Should I try loading them into my catalog or should I do it in the Job catalog?  Either one do I do it thru restore?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

. . . and if you respond via email, we will not see any attachments.  You have to post on the forum website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines