• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adverse interaction between PSE and two graphics cards?

Participant ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a HP Envy TE01-1020 (whose specs far exceed what's needed to run PSE) and do photo editing on Photoshop Elements 18 (2020).  I want to replace the PC's integrated GPU with a dedicated card.  I speaking with HP, they said that they had conflicting information about the interaction between PSE and the PC when there are two cards present.  Anyone know about this potential problem?  I'm really not sure if there would be a problem as I've been told that if I add a new card to my 10th gen 7i CPU, the integrated card would automatically be disabled??? Thanks.

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP can go kick rocks.  A non issue.

When you add a video card, yes, the integrated one typically gets kicked to the curb, unloved and forgotten. 

Due to alot of cosntraints on cofiguarability I always tell people using two video cards are you described is not possible.  I wouldn't waste my time with it. 

You're not going to able to use the integrated video and the add on video card at the same time to get superduper fast video stuff.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not into using two cards at the same time. I only want the dedicated card to work, which appears to be the case as it has been noted that the PC will automatically disable the integrated card.  Also, I won't be doing video, so a new dedicated card should speed up the still photo editing. So, now I have to find a card that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I won't be doing video, so a new dedicated card should speed up the still photo editing. So, now I have to find a card that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

By @flycaster99

The GPU card is very rarely used in Photoshop Elements. You can check that by having a look at your task bar. So, dont expect it to speed up your photo editing.

Another recent discussion:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-elements-discussions/elements-will-not-recognize-my-nvidia-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I erred a little in why I want a dedicated card.  The real slowness in my editing workflow occurs when I export .TIFFs from Photolab to PSE. With my older computer (HP 750-114), it took about 1.5 minutes to do this.  However, with the new PC, it now only takes 40 sec, or so.  I'm thinking that a new card can speed this up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I erred a little in why I want a dedicated card.  The real slowness in my editing workflow occurs when I export .TIFFs from Photolab to PSE. With my older computer (HP 750-114), it took about 1.5 minutes to do this.  However, with the new PC, it now only takes 40 sec, or so.  I'm thinking that a new card can speed this up.

By @flycaster99

If you hover your cursor over the preference to use the GPU, you discover that it's only used for two features:

So, do you mean the GPU would help Photolab to export?

GPU USE-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help with exporting from Photolab to PSE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  Use your SSD, and max out your ram - for the best improvements.   Video cards have nothing to do with loading images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to using a SSD but I do have all my programs on it, Storage is on the HDD. In general, I'm pretty satisfied with the speed of my workflow, it is only the exporting of .TIFFs from Photolab to PSE that I'd like to speed up.  So, if I read you right, I really don't have to bother with an dedicated card, but should look towards adding more RAM. At present, I have 16GBs of RAM.  If I added another 16GBs (32GB is max), how much of a speed-up do you think I'd get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Virtually none, unless the images are bigger than the amount of ram you have.... you're only talking about thousandths of a second in saving time- if dealing with basic pictures.

The issue here is the program you are using- read about it here:

Speed Up Exports that Use Prime Noise Reduction? - DxO PhotoLab / DxO PhotoLab Windows - DxO Forums

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reference.  I had read it before, but paid more attention to it now. Overall, I think I'll just leave things as they are an wait for DxO to improve the sped of its program's export function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

it's mind boggling to me that a program would do that... "Well we gotta do some stuff before we actually export it".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines