Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

aligning an image on top of another image

Participant ,
Oct 13, 2023 Oct 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Photoshop Elements 2022 (20.0) on an iMac OSX Monterey 12.6.6
I've an aerial photo of an area, and a graphical map of trails made with a GPS. The aerial photo is the background layer; the graphical map is Layer 1 set to 50% opacity. I want to view Layer 1 on top of the Background so that I can rotate and resize Layer 1 to match visible ground features on the Background, then Merge Visible.

I'm blocked at viewing Layer 1 with Background showing through Layer 1. It must be something 'obvious' I'm missing - what?

TOPICS
How to , Mac

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you post the aerial photo & the map so that we can provide hand-on advice. Absent that, here are some suggestions:

1. Make sure that the resolution of both the photo & map are the same value. The rule of thumb for work on the web is 72px/in and for printing in the 240-300 px/in range.

2. In addition to layer opacity determinant values, there is also the option to change the blending mode on layer1. "Normal" is default. In the drop-down click on the next option, and then you can cycle through the rest of the blending modes with the down-arrow key on the keyboard.

3. You might consider enhancing the trails on the map. Open a blank layer at the top of the stack of layers, and with a black, round or square brush,  trace over the trails to make them stand out. Again, you have the options of opacity & blending mode on this layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions, hatstead. I tried the other blending modes and they didn't seem to change the problem that move/resize/rotate Layer 1 does the same thing to Background, even when not selected, even when the eye is clicked to make it non-visible...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I misunderstood the problem. I thought that the issue was visibility rather than resizing.. Follow Greg's directions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hatstead, that was indeed the first problem. I'm still (!) trying to find out exactly what I did to make the layers visible as I wished, but once it happened I immediately hit the second problem. My apologies for being so dense; obviously real experts don't hit my problems or they'd have been fixed long ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you have Layer 1 selected and use the Move tool to reposition it. If you need to resize and/or rotate the layer, press Cmd+T and resize handles will appear.  Hover outside the corner handles to rotate the layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Greg. I did finally get to view layer 1 on top of Background (sadly I'm not sure exactly what worked; I'm trying to find out). I had Layer 1 selected, not Background, but when I tried to move/resize/rotate Layer 1 (I use these all the time) the Background layer moved along with it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you possibly group the layers by hitting Cmd+G instead of Cmd+T (to transform)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2023 Oct 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greg, I checked that. No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines