• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All my tags gone

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not upgraded, changed computer - nothing.  I just went in to my Photoshop Elements organizer and all of the hunreds of keyword tags I made are missing.  I have hundreds of digital elements for scrapbooking and sign making.  I went into manage catalog and the buttons are not available, but rather just gray and not operational in the square that pops up, so I can't use "repair catalog".  Help please.

TOPICS
Organizer , Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I clicked on one of the digital elements and the tags are showing as still available.  The problem is that the keywords are not listed and I can't figure out how to list them so I can search my files.  They used to be listed on the right side and all I had to do was click on them to search.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the Keyword/Info toggle button at the lower right of the screen and make sure you have the Tags panel selected.  If that isn't the problem, what OS and version of Elements are you using?  And please provide us with a screenshot of what you are seeing.

Snap_2021.11.15_12h48m27s_000.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop Elements 2021 in a Windows 10 operating system.  I am adding some screen shots as requested.  I am using the tags toggle.  When I go to people I can see the list of people.  Same with events.  However, I cannot get a list of any of my tags under photography or other on the top.  They used to come up every time I used this program.  As you can see with one screen shot, on one of my digital elements I tagged Christmas, gold and metallic.  The list of these keywords does not show, so if I want a gold element, e.g., I cannot click the keyword in a list and see all of my gold elements.IMG_3296.JPGIMG_3295.JPGIMG_3294.JPGIMG_3293.JPGIMG_3292.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sure would help---- Many users won't even bother looking sideways....

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-screenshot-on-windows#:~:text=To%20take%20a%20screenshot%20on....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screen shot came out just fine, but when I uploaded it to this site it turned sideways.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My point was that "screenshots" taken by phones, and then posted online are often blurry, and don't show the entire screen---often missing details that are needed to provide more focused help. 

Below is what a screenshot should look like. 

2021-11-18_162241.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshots show the correct orientation when clicked on and viewed full screen.  They also show me all of the information I was looking for. 

Clearly, you have files with tags.  But they are not showing up under the Photography category.  So, I have to ask you how you created this catalog and when did you last see the proper tag hierarchy? And perhaps more importantly, do any of the tags show up under the Other category in your tag hierarchy?  If they are showing in the Other category, you may have moved them by accident.

If the tags are not under the Other category:

• Do you have more than one catalog?
  • Were the tags previously available in this catalog under your created hierarchy?
  • Did you convert this catalog from a previous version?
  • Did you simply import previously tagged files into the catalog and expect to see the metadata tags in a certain hierarchy?

The answers to these questions may solve the mystery.  But, in the meantime, here are some other suggestions and questions:

When you are in detail view (Ctrl+D) do the tag icons appear?

Snap_2021.11.18_22h27m13s_001.png

If you click the Search button in the top right of the screen and then click on the Keywords tab, do all of  your keyword tags show up?

Snap_2021.11.18_22h47m42s_002.png

And finally, if you Search for a keyword in the Search dialog, are you able to find all of your tags?  (If you use a category as a search term, it should return all tags that are under that category in the tag hierarchy.  So perhaps search for Photography and see whether the tagged photos that should appear under that category are visible in the grid.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I still can't get my list over on the right side like before, but with this information I can go to search, then tags on the left and my tags show up.  Not as convenient, but at least they are there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Candace21764571pinj, you haven't answered my questions, so I can't be sure whether this will help (but it can't hurt).  If you go to File>Manage Catalogs and select the catalog, you can try using the Repair and Optimize options.  Depending on the size of your catalog, this can take a while.  Please let us know if this restores your keyword tag hierarchy in the tags panel.  If you answer my earlier questions, we may be able to determine another reason for the disappearing tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you.  I got very frustrated with this and at least had a partial answer.  To answer your questions, at least some, I did not convert or import.  I just went into my program and it had changed.  I tried optimize and repair.  It didn't help.  Yes, all my tags were there.  I only have two catalogs and one has very few items.  I did what you suggested and clicked on photography and the tags did appear in a list on the right as they used to, but when I clicked on "other", which is where I have hundreds of tags, nothing in the list on the right.  Then I searched the category of "other" in the search bar as suggested and - voila!  They all came back into the list.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines