• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Another example of PSE 2018 Editor working where Organizer does not-Scanning

Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I go to import photos from a scanner, the Organizer Import always insists that it "could not open software, or scanner is busy", while the Editor Import from scanner ALWAYS works. It just says Import from WIA? I say OK, and it just scans.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In the organiser, have you set up the scanner preferences? (Edit -> Preferences -> Scanner)

Does that see your scanner?

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh it sees the scanner just fine, however unlike the Editor, The Organizer does not like talking to it.

I have seen other post that suggest that if you do scans from the Editor a couple of times, then eventually the Organizer will talk to it as well.

Why does it seem that the Organizer and Editor were put together by different teams? Other than some interface enhancements I would like to see, the Editor has worked flawlessly, wish I could say the same about the Organizer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 06, 2018 Jan 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In my case, I saw the error message once but that was probably caused by trying to scan too soon after connecting the scanner. I closed the organizer, disconnected and reconnected the scanner. I waited a short while for the drivers to load and then started up the organiser and I could then scan in images.

I think you are probably correct in that different teams wrote the different parts. I suspect that Elements is a large enough project to require a few teams working on it. There has been a lot of development in the recent years to bring out 64bit versions. I suspect some code from Photoshop CC was adapted for Elements. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a trend of teams not talking together (left hand not telling the right hand) these days. You only have to look at Microsoft's Outlook - there about three different types and they all work slightly different.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some history:

If, like me, you have been using Elements and the organizer from the start (the organizer was first 'albums', totally distinct from the Editor), you'll have a different view. Albums was bundled with the editor as 'organizer'. Two different teams from the start, some 15 years ago.

Then, the organizer was totally rebuilt with PSE6 by Adobe, and lately in PSE11 for the interface, PSE13 for 64-bits support.

Don't forget that Elements, the "consumer" software, was brought over to a new Indian team, I don't recall exactly when.

And there, you both are true about different teams... but the two different and far apart teams are now Photoshop CC and Elements in India. Not Editor and Organizer.

It's not a secret that the code in the Elements editor is based on the code of older versions of Photoshop. It even happens that bugs in version A of Photoshop are corrected in its version B and that Elements inherits the bug in its version coming out at the same time in version C of Photoshop... Rare occurence, but that's how it works.

Now, you can compare the organizer and editor combo with Photoshop CC and LR.  The combo is far more integrated than the pro softwares which can work totally indepently even if they can talk together. You have to install both organizer and editor even if:

- you don't use the organizer (you can use Bridge instead or any other management tool)

- you use the organizer to manage your files with Photoshop CC (works perfectly).

So, there are more editing modules shared  between both tools (I don't think any original editing tool is created by the file management team in India). What may be more problematic is the way each part of the combo may interact with the OS, the hardware, printer and other softwares because they have to be able to work independently depending on the user's choice. That's what may happen in the original issue in this discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What a well composed answer. Thank you for the insight.

I started out with Photoshop LE which was provided with my original digital camera, a Pentax EI-200. Then I used Photoshop at work, and the last Adobe exposure I had was Elements 7. That is prior to the purchase od PSE 2018. The period in between was using AcDsee, which has a superb organizer, but only a so so editor.

PSE2018 is Okay, it just feels unfinished. Fortunately I didn't have any of the myriad of installation issues that occupy the majority of the user form. And I hope the few critical flaws like memory "leaks"?, ungraceful exits (with error messages), jpg decoding errors (cracked screen icon) on imports, occasional color streaks across the imported photos, and occasional lack of communication with the scanner are eventually addressed. The one bright spot in the Organizer is that DESPITE many crashes upon exit, it has never appeared to corrupt the database

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines