• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup takes too long

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently purchases PSE 2020 however before switching from PSE9 I am cleaning things up on PSE 9 before I convert. One of the things I did was write all keyword data to the picture files. Before I did that my backup would take about 30 minutes but now it takes about 5 hours. Does that make any sense?

TOPICS
Performance , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't see any reason for that. Nearly all the time needed for the backup is to copy the original files. Writing metadata to tags does not add significant file sizes. What's the calculated size of the backup as shown in the backup dialog?

What's the size and number of items in your catalog folder? (menu Help >> System Info).

Was there a change in the destination drive (USB external drive, network ?)

Did you recently update your OS version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there, 

Sorry that Photoshop Elements 2020 is taking a very long time to backup your catalogs.

Have you tried Repairing and Optimizing the catalog  via the File>Manage Catalogs dialog? Also, are you doing full or incremental backup? What is your operating system?

Do you have plenty of free space on your system drive? How large is your catalog and are you backing up to an external drive?  The backup can take many, many hours, depending on the size of your catalog and and if you have the face recognision enabled in Photoshop Elements, these take an enormous amount of time to copy and save to an external drive.

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines