Exit

Backup uneventful but no .tly file

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have PS Elements 2018.

I did an uneventful catalog backup from a Windows 7 desktop, storing on a new external hard drive and wanting to restore the catalog onto PSE 2018 on a Windows 10 desktop. In the backup, the image files are there with the usual  .jsor and .xmp files etc. There is a .buc file and two cache files (see attached) but no .tly file. The restored files therefore have not loaded in spite of repeating the whole thing three times.

I don't remember this problem before and would be grateful for help.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this from the Using the Community forum (which is the forum for issues using the forums) to the Photoshop Elements forum so that proper help can be offered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There can't be a restore without a .tly file. There are many reports about missing tly files which are the very last ones to be written in the backup folder. That means that the backup was not complete. I always recommend to be patient and to wait a little at the end of the backup process, even after you get the message that the backup is finished. Since the only real proof that the backup is good is if it has been correctly restored, the best second way is to check if the .tly file is present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Michel B Paris

Much as I thought. I've left it for ages after doing a 'backup' without success but will try again.

If there are lots of reports about this situation then perhaps Adobe could supply a fix?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines